Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who else is a saltwater aquarium hobbyist?

As some may know, I have a 75 gallon saltwater fish tank complete with a
blue tang
p-89505-blue-tang.jpg

A yellow belly blue tang
Yellow_Belly_Blue_Tang_ps.jpg

And a blue spotted ribbontail ray
lymma.JPG

THESE ARE NOT MY PICTURES. I will post pictures of mine soon.
If you have a saltwater tank, feel free to share! :yh:

lman

Yeah I didn't think you would put liveaquaria.com in the middle of your pics.

What about us fresh water guys? Can we play too?

67 gallon ( 36x18x24 ) with CO2 injection
IMG_0019.jpg

What about us fresh water guys? Can we play too?

67 gallon ( 36x18x24 ) with CO2 injection
IMG_0019.jpg

Sure if you want, I just LOVE the look of the blue of saltwater.
Oh and by the way, your tank looks GREAT!

Last edited:
36 gallon bow front

5 gallon low tec shrimp tank ( the algae on the back and sides is intentional. The shrimp feed on biofilm )

Last edited:
36 gallon bow front

5 gallon low tec shrimp tank ( the algae on the back and sides is intentional. The shrimp feed on biofilm )

NICE! I used to have green spotted puffers, by the time they were one inch long, I HAD to move to saltwater. (Haven't switched back either ;) )

Yes. Yes. Yes. At the moment I only have a 10gal fresh community tank that will be converted to a planted aquarium later, but I have a 45gal collecting dust (long story short, I hate this situation) and plan to set of a reef tank once I'm settled. I've spent countless hours learning and researching marine and aquatic biology. Even took aquatic bio my junior year of high school. Marine bio would've been what I majored in. At the moment though, no salt and coralline to call my own *many tears* Hope you're enjoying yours though! How'd you go about it? Reef? FOWLR? What inverts do you have? I'd love to read about your setup! Also, if you don't about it already, there's a GREAT forum community for saltwater tank enthusiasts at saltwaterfish.com. I LOVE that place.

Last edited:
i have recently started in the fish hobby freshwater but cool man. i will post some pics of my 29 gallon when i have the chance its not fully stocked yet...anyone into diy fish stuff? i made my own sump and overflow system :D

Yes. Yes. Yes. At the moment I only have a 10gal fresh community tank that will be converted to a planted aquarium later, but I have a 45gal collecting dust (long story short, I hate this situation) and plan to set of a reef tank once I'm settled. I've spent countless hours learning and researching marine and aquatic biology. Even took aquatic bio my junior year of high school. Marine bio would've been what I majored in. At the moment though, no salt and coralline to call my own *many tears* Hope you're enjoying yours though! How'd you go about it? Reef? FOWLR? What inverts do you have? I'd love to read about your setup! Also, if you don't about it already, there's a GREAT forum community for saltwater tank enthusiasts at saltwaterfish.com. I LOVE that place.

I am glad you are plan on getting in to the saltwater hobby. I LOVE my tank, mine is a FOWLR and has no inverts (the ray would eat them). I have never knew about that certain website, but I will join, whats your user name on that site? Oh and if you do want to go saltwater, let me just say, keeping a reef tank is hard! I tried once and it did not work out so well. If I where you I would do this for a first tank.
Get 2 more tanks, a 75 gallon main tank, and a 20 gallon to build a sump.
Get 3 pumps of the exact same brand each 400gph
Then set up your 45 as a reef
Then set up your 75 gallon as a FOWLR
Then set up your 20 gallon sump under your 75 gallon (there are plenty of diy sump building videos on youtube)
Then put one pump in the 75 gallon, and one in the 45
Then fill each tank with water
Add your heater, UV, and whatever other electronics into your sump
then buy your light fixtures, I would recommend these Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping! Make sure you get one for each tank (not the sump) get the 4 bulb model
Then add inverts only two the 45
Then get some live rock, get 10 pounds for your sump, 50 pounds for your 45 gallon reef, then get 20 for the 75 gallon.
Then get 100 pounds of live sand to split between the two tanks.
Then let the tanks run for 2 months with no fish.
Then add some hardy non aggressive fish, (maybe a fire fish in each tank)
Then wait for one more month
Add corals to the 45 that would be appropriate for you set up. (soft corals)
Then add fish
Add whatever you want that is non aggressive and reef safe and that can fit in a 45 gallon
Then add a blue spotted ribbontail ray to the 75 (if your up to it) feeding can difficult at fist for the ray
Then add one or two tangs to the 75 after one more week
Once done enjoy your tank. :) I hope this helps. :beer:

i have recently started in the fish hobby freshwater but cool man. i will post some pics of my 29 gallon when i have the chance its not fully stocked yet...anyone into diy fish stuff? i made my own sump and overflow system :D

Yep I built my own sump and overflow.

Last edited: