Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

White semiconductor lasers? Please explain.

Jstr

This article might explain it better.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150729101932.htm

From what I can tell, it uses multiple segments of semiconductors extremely close together in a diode package (?) so that it more or less becomes white output when collimated. Although it says its fully tunable, which stumps me. I guess they have six pins on the diode?

Still awesome. I'm wondering what kind of power they get, and how the heck Li-Fi works.

Gabe

Ah I think I understand a bit better, they pretty much grow the semiconductor crystals in line with each other, to make one solid 'chip' I think. Do you think they'd use the semiconductor compositions from 650, 520, and 445nm? Or maybe they'd use 462nm for a less indigo blue. Idk

IEEE spectrum's title "The First White Laser" isn't really correct, since we've had Argon-Krypton lasers for quite some time. And now there are supercontinuum lasers too.
I'm not sure about this either, (quote from Science News) "The device is capable of lasing in any visible color, completely tunable from red, green to blue, or any color in between." If that's true then give us yellow diode lasers!:D:eg:

Also, I skimmed the article and it looks like it is light pumped? or did I miss something?

EDIT: For those who don't frequent both forums, Steve at PL pointed out that "This was pumped by 355 nm from Tripled pulsed ND:YAG."

Last edited:

Gabe

IEEE spectrum's title "The First White Laser" isn't really correct, since we've had Argon-Krypton lasers for quite some time. And now there are supercontinuum lasers too.
I'm not sure about this either, (quote from Science News) "The device is capable of lasing in any visible color, completely tunable from red, green to blue, or any color in between." If that's true then give us yellow diode lasers!:D:eg:

Also, I skimmed the article and it looks like it is light pumped? or did I miss something?

"The scientists can individually target each segment of the nano-sheet with a light pulse. Varying the power of the light pulses that each section received tuned how intensely they shone, allowing the laser to produce 70 percent more perceptible colors than the most commonly used light sources"

I think you're right Matt, and this also explains how they were tuning the colours. And yeah, now it totally seems like they could make a single yellow, diode? Or is this DPSS?

It's an RGB "diode", not a WL-tunable laser.

Last edited:

Encap

It's just an RGB "diode", and it's not even working fully yet.

Is a pretty amazing accomplishment in an of itself actually. A nano RGB laser projector! I think very cleverly done by any measure

"The researchers have created a novel nanosheet -- a thin layer of semiconductor that measures roughly one-fifth of the thickness of human hair in size with a thickness that is roughly one-thousandth of the thickness of human hair--with three parallel segments, each supporting laser action in one of three elementary colors. The device is capable of lasing in any visible color, completely tunable from red, green to blue, or any color in between. When the total field is collected, a white color emerges." from: ASU engineers demonstrate the world?s first white lasers

Here is the supplimental information pdf with the real details and explainations: http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/extref/nnano.2015.149-s1.pdf

They speak of using these white laser for computer monitors and "lifi" communication. Speed of light communication that's more advanced than fiber optics.
This technology could easily fall into the hands of hobbyist in time!!
This is exciting news to hear!

Gabe

Heres another article. World's First White Lasers Demonstrated

Wouldnt diffraction be a problem during collimatiion?

That's exactly what I was thinking about, the different wavelengths would have different focal points if focused by the same lens. Although I do remember that article a bit back about those wafer-thin lenses that have really cool properties, including bending light by the same amount no matter the colour.

Encap

That's exactly what I was thinking about, the different wavelengths would have different focal points if focused by the same lens. Although I do remember that article a bit back about those wafer-thin lenses that have really cool properties, including bending light by the same amount no matter the colour.

Maybe we will get the answer to the question next week.

I invited the guy, Dr. Cun-Zheng Ning, who headed the team that did the work, via email. to to take a look at the two threads on LPF about his work and come on as a guest/visitor to explain and answer any questions members might have

Is a very good and bright guy--Dr Cun-Zheng Ning, Professor of Electrical Engineerging.
See: ASU Ning's Nanophotonics Group

Will see if he can/will do, next week.

Last edited:

Gabe

Wow, well done, would +rep if I could!

Last edited:

Encap

Wow, well done, would +rep if I could!

:thanks: I though it would be enjoyable for members to have him come here and for Dr. Ning also.

I think I will post a note about it on the other thread also, to let people know.

This was my email to him---will call him to discuss next week.

"Dear Dr. Ning:
I tried to reach you on telephone today but was probably too late at 6:30PM EST. Will try again tomorrow earlier in the day next week.

I wanted/want to contact for 3 reason.
1. To remark how brilliant the marketing of your nanophotonics project nano RGB wire as World’s First White Laser—love what you are doing---hope/wish the promotion brings excellent funding and 大获成功 (great success).

2. To let you know about a forum group http://laserpointerforums.com .
I participate in the forum and there are 2 posts about your work there you might like to see. The forum has many highly technologically knowledgeable members along with many no so much so ---they all have one thing in common that they enjoy lasers and laser technology as a hobby.
Here is a link to the most busy post about your work http://laserpointerforums.com/f54/first-ever-white-laser-developed-94549.html and here is the link to the other one http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/white-semiconductor-lasers-please-explain-94544.html

3. To invite you to post a comment on either of the threads or whatever you think would be appropriate in either of the 2 threads about your work---am certain the laser enthusiasts of LPF would be thrilled if you were to do so---is not often that people of your level doing R,D,T and E engineering of new laser technology post comments but is always a day to celebrate when they do so.

Best regards,"

Last edited:

Gabe

Onto the rep-owing list you go!
And in case you do show up, hi Mr. Ning from the past :D

APEX1

This is awesome, I hope he shows up. I see huge potential for this!