Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which way does the lens go?

I have a green all taken apart. I'm trying to put it together and the focus lens (final piece of glass) is apart. I'm ASSUMING that the curved piece is outward.

laserbeam -----> |)

Not

laserbeam -----> (|

thanks

DrSid

Yep .. flat toward divergent beam (ie source), round toward collimated beam (ie output aperture). When divergent beam hits spherical surface, so called spherical anomaly is created. That's why the flat side is there.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was pretty sure but I didn't want to glue it in wrong and have to start over with the acetone again. :D

Blord

Do you glue the lens in place ? The retainer ring will hold every lens in the barrel, no need for glue.

DrSid

I second no glue near optics.

Btw. if unsure, simply try it. Sometimes it makes no difference at all. Spherical anomaly looks like spot with distinct peak in the middle. As you decrease spot size when focusing, the peak will start to increase and you never get small dot. With correct orientation the spot will look more or less same during focusing, just the size will change.

Last edited:
I just used a toothpick and some Elmer's on the outer edge. Didn't seem to be a problem. Thanks, it is back up and working.