Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which burns best: 200mW red or 110mW blu-ray?

Lol

Alright, so I have finally decided that I will be buying another high power laser pointer, but I am unsure which one's best.
Since I am pretty new to lasers, I need to ask some questions.

I have heard that since red lasers have a wavelength that is longer than blu-rays, for every mW they will have less burning capacity than blu-rays because they have a shorter wavelength. Is this true? In that case, which will burn better, a 110mW DIY blu-ray which I will buy in the Buy and Sell section, or a 200mW DX red?

I'm only interested in burning stuff, and I have safety goggles for both wavelengths so that's no problem.

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Lol

EDIT: I now realize that this topic should probably have been posted in the Tutorials, Help & Repairs forum, oh well, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum :'(

the br will burn way more stuff than a red. a red will burn better on dark colors that absorb red light. ie green, black, blue burns ok...

There is no ( Or very , very little..) diffrence between wavelenght and power!
532nm 100mW = 405nm 100mW... But 532nm do appear about 5-8x brighter than the 405nm...
That means if you want to burn things take the Dilda ( Dx Laser)!
Regards
game

I'd have to agree with drew, the blu-ray burns almost anything kinda good. But the the red burns anything dark much better (given that it has more mW's).

Lol

Ah, ok, thanks guys!

So, well, I will burn stuff like black plastic, ignite matches, burn clothes, pop balloons and stuff like that. You know, the usual stuff.
Which one suits the job best? 200mW red or the DIY 110mW BR?

Again, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

The 200mW red has the lead there, but the blu-ray has a greater show-off factor because of the colour and it's amazing fluorescent capabilities.

Lol

Ok thanks alot. I think I will go for the blu-ray one even though the red 200mW burns better.

Again, thanks ;D

The blu-ray can burn any color. The red can only burn dark colors.

How does the idea of lighting a white match instantly sound?

Blu-ray!

-Mark

Lol

I went for the 200mW instead. Bought it on saturday.
I'll definately go for the blu-ray one next time. We don't have white matches here though... ::)

Thanks for the help guys.

Ymerej

i almost started another thread with the same question in mind. good thing i found this, answered all my questions. i'll be buying a blu-ray next :D (I sure hope Igor gets better soon :( ).