Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to find green 100mw+ diodes

Hi i have a good red green driver board and im looking for a good Green diode. I smoked the one i had. It was putting out about 100mw so i would like something about the same.

green lasers dont have green diodes. They use infrared diodes to pump a couple crystals and give you green light. You probably just need a replacement infrared diode, 808nm. If it was doing 100mW, it was most likely a 500mW 9mm diode, or a c-mount if it was a more 'high quality' module.

if you find a 100mw green laser diode tell me, i would love to buy a few thousand, lol

;D

travislikescoolstuff said:
if you find a 100mw green laser diode tell me, i would love to buy a few thousand, lol

;D

Yeah, you and a WHOLE bunch of other people.  You find one of those, and you'll not only be the first on the planet to do so, you'll also be a very rich person if you can replicate it/tell others how to make it (after you patent it in several countries and get companies to pay you for it, of course).  A 100mW brilliant green direct-injection laser diode with lifetime comparable to violet and blue diodes would be a very valuable thing to invent.

wannaburn said:

Yep, we're getting there. Your link says subscription required for the whole article, but from the headline and subtitle it sounds like the announcement of their first nonpolar GaN laser diodes, which you can find what appears to be the same story from Rohm's website here: http://www.rohm.com.tw/news/070201.html, at least it has the same title/subtitle. A lot of people are working on the stuff, hopefully we'll get there first, and I'll let you know when it gets published ;).

They independently did that work (their first nonpolar GaN laser) at about the same time as our department, although I think our department beat them to it by a little bit to be the world's first working device, but they were both independent either way. Both Rohm and our group were making strides at around the same time, at least as far as you can tell by publishing dates. Here's a good article on what that article actually means, like what they actually did and some of what it actually means for device performance and future achievements: http://www.laserfocusworld.com/disp...ium-nitride-laser-diodes-are-the-next-new-blu. Also, a wider view of what all happened through that period of time with nonpolar GaN lasers: http://www.semiconductor-today.com/news_items/NEWS_2007/SEPT_07/UCSB_240907.htm

It really is interesting stuff to read up on. All this nonpolar (and semipolar, as well) work has really happened in just the last couple of years, but it's going to revolutionize all of the violet/blue/green/white LEDs and violet/blue/hopefully green laser diodes. It really will be a gamechanger with all the low-wavelength LEDs and diodes out there, amazing stuff. You think white LEDs and violet lasers are amazing now? Going to nonpolar increases the performance ceilings of those things pretty dramatically once it ever reaches a production-ready scale.

pullbangdead,

Do you have any links to APL or other technical papers on it? Can you suggest a few?

K

kristopher said:
pullbangdead,

Do you have any links to APL or other technical papers on it?  Can you suggest a few?

K

Papers on nonpolar GaN, you mean? None at my finger tips right now. Putting any combination of "nonpolar", "m-plane", "GaN", and "gallium nitride" into WebofScience/Compendex/whatever you can use should start to get you papers. Although saying "m-plane" won't get them all, since people are using all different planes with GaN now, a-plane, m-plane, everything.

I know a lot of our group's papers have actually gone in JJAP, the Japanese Journal of Applied Physics. A lot of other papers also get put in JJAP, like some of Rohm's papers, I think just because most of the work is being done in Japan. I think the references for the "The Next New Blue" article could have some good ones included.

When I'm back in my office with some spare time again, I have the reprint books for the last 2 years for everything published by our group in that time, and I KNOW those articles and their references will be good. I just don't have those books with me.

Or was it something else you're looking for? (And APL is Applied Physics Letters, correct?)