Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to find affordable diodes that aren't custom ordered

Hello world!
I'm a long time lurker of this site becuase I've never really needed to make an account till now. My problem is I can't find diodes between 500-600 nm and 50-100 mwatts that you don't have to custom order. Wattage is flexible for this project because all it needs to do is burn through/imolate cardoard. I just don't want to have to buy a bunch of laser pointers and dismantle them.

Any help is appreciated. If I communicated something wrong then ask and I'll rephrase it so I don't sound like an idiot

Thanks! :thanks:

Hello world!
I'm a long time lurker of this site becuase I've never really needed to make an account till now. My problem is I can't find diodes between 500-600 nm and 50-100 mwatts that you don't have to custom order. Wattage is flexible for this project because all it needs to do is burn through/imolate cardoard. I just don't want to have to buy a bunch of laser pointers and dismantle them.

Any help is appreciated. If I communicated something wrong then ask and I'll rephrase it so I don't sound like an idiot

Thanks! :thanks:

Welc9me

If you're a long-time lurker you should have heard of DTR'S Laser Shop.

And you should know to post your 1st introduce yourself post in the Welcome sub-forum.

This^^^^ You will likely need an NDG700 as that will give you 520nm at 1 watt with an aspheric lens. There are other diodes available, but some are in the 130 mW range and others are the same wavelength as the NDG700. There are also diode for sale on eBay, but be careful not to get one with a ball lens as that will complicate matters for you.

Just a note, in that range you'll be pretty much limited to 505nm, 515nm, 520nm and 525nm. Anything between 535nm and 620nm is a dead zone for diodes, nothing outside of research labs are available in that range, which nobody here has access to

Benm

Well, unless they don't need to be direct diodes ofcourse, 532 nm dpss diodes fall in the range, are available at requested power level, and not that expensive either (though don't trust power ratings on ebay, aliexpress etc!).

To get a high power 532nm DPSS laser you will spend quite a lot in a handheld. You can get a nice 1350 mW lab laser for $400.00 new from Existotem. If you just want a 50 mW to 80 mW laser, you can get a 303 on eBay for under $10.00 with battery and charger. Many of these end up quite close to 80 mW, but it is really the luck of the draw.

Welc9me

If you're a long-time lurker you should have heard of DTR'S Laser Shop.

And you should know to post your 1st introduce yourself post in the Welcome sub-forum.

This isnt really an introductory post. I was just explaining why it was my first post. I was going to write the equivalent of the first half of my post there, but it lacked any meaning so i shortened it and put it there.

And for some reason ive never heard of DTR'S.
Thanks for telling me.

This isnt really an introductory post. I was just explaining why it was my first post. I was going to write the equivalent of the first half of my post there, but it lacked any meaning so i shortened it and put it there.

Thanks for telling me.
Here's a link:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

Personally, no idea why people insist on the "1st introductory post" stuff. It should be OK to just come up and ask a question without first sharing personal information.

Eracoy

Personally, no idea why people insist on the "1st introductory post" stuff. It should be OK to just come up and ask a question without first sharing personal information.

I tend to agree. It feels a bit unwelcoming to me. We are trying to welcome people in and be familiar with them so we can best help each other. I think we do a good job of this, but I imagine our tone is misunderstood.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, I think you have some good options in the green range. If you were willing to go longer wavelength to 638nm or shorter to 470nm, you would have a lot more power than anything non-520nm around there. Is there a reason to specify that range, or just personal preference?

DTR's shop will show you what is available these days. You can browse your choices and see which colors you would approve of. It's definitely the place I'd recommend you buy the diode. Top notch service, non-inflated prices, and the copper module selection mean I've revisited many times. I should total up the watts I've bought from him...

Thanks for telling me.

Your welcome and I've never heard if DTR's Laser Shop either it was a good guess.
😉

Benm

To get a high power 532nm DPSS laser you will spend quite a lot in a handheld. You can get a nice 1350 mW lab laser for $400.00 new from Existotem. If you just want a 50 mW to 80 mW laser, you can get a 303 on eBay for under $10.00 with battery and charger. Many of these end up quite close to 80 mW, but it is really the luck of the draw.

The opening post called for 50 to 100 mW power levels, at 532 laser pointers that produce power in that range really are not expensive at all. Maybe you need to buy 20 pieces of which only 10 make it consistently over the 50 mW mark at/around room temperature, but given their price this would still not be very expensive compared to getting direct diode lasers at these wavelengths.

Eracoy

I would make a note about generic 532nm pointers. They likely don't have an IR filter and can put out dangerous amounts of invisible light even when the 532nm is blocked. Even some reasonably expensive lasers leave this off, so you can't make guarantees about any of them without measuring yourself. Fortunately, there are pairs of safety goggles which are made for this and block 532nm as well as the 808nm and 1064nm IR.

For example, this pair on Survival Laser's site.

On the other hand, visible direct diode lasers don't make infrared. But, if you choose a DPSS laser such as a 532nm, you will need a form of eye protection which covers those three (532nm, 808nm, 1064nm) wavelengths.

Last edited:
Here's a link:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

No one on LPF is insisting on a Welcome Thread...
We are suggesting it would be helpful to know a
little about what brings them to our house.

No one is demanding to know a new member's
personal information.. Saying "Hi I'm from North
America and am a guy that like Lasers and want
to know more about them"
Will not give away the
Family Secret.

If you don't want to... Then Don't...

Jerry

Hi ,
Personally I like a healthy intro, it shows the true intent of a forum member joining up. And not just some fly by night breaking down the front door for information . Makes you feel like week old lunch meat.
Any who welcome to LPF

Rich:)

I like it when people introduce themselves too. It wasn't that common when I joined, but times do change. To tell the truth, I don't think I ever made an introductory thread. Is it too late? Naw!