Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to buy a >2 watt laser diode on the cheap?

I've bought 1 watt diodes off ebay but I'm looking for a little bit more power. I found these Amazon.com: HIGH POWER Burning Cutting Laser Diode 2w 9mm 808nm: Electronics but I'm a little suspect that they really can put out 2 watts. Anyone know where I can get some legit higher power ir diodes on the cheap? On a side note do you know what kind of slope efficiency these diodes get and if I could run either the ebay or amazon diodes up to 2 watts? Thank you in advance!

If you want to be guaranteed of the 808nm Laser output
power buy from snoctony on eBay but you will pay more
for quality...or make a deal with a member here...

The diodes on Amazon look like surplus LDs....
A gereral rule of thumb.... Cheap and quality High Power
LDs don't mix...

Jerry

What do need your laser to do, etch or cut? Which materials?
Do you have certified laser glasses?

Last edited:
Those 2W 808 nm diodes on Amazon are from Heurursciences/ HSC/ Chris Leubner. I bought some from there. He claims that they can put out 3W at 2.3A.

Helios

3W of IR sounds terrifying to me. OP I hope you understand the dangers of such diodes and plan to build in some sort of safety features such as a shutter and a power indicating led.

Last edited:
Those 2W 808 nm diodes on Amazon are from Heurursciences/ HSC/ Chris Leubner. I bought some from there. He claims that they can put out 3W at 2.3A.

Thanks, I'll probably buy some and run them at 2 amps to start.

3W of IR sounds terrifying to me. OP I hope you understand the dangers of such diodes and plan to build in some sort of safety features such as a shutter and a power indicating led.

Yeah, I added an led indicator to the driver I made and I have glasses rated for 808nm.

I wouldn't take chris's claims with any certitude...

Yea, that's why I said that he claims that.

I just did a quick test. At 2.2V and 2.3A, I metered in the high 1400mw's.
Granted, I didn't get to run it long before it got hot.

Turning out a 9mm labby test sink is on my list of things to machine. ;)

So I'm interested in building something like this www.rayfoss.com I'm wondering whether that would contain an overpowered 9mm or a c-mount. Any guesses? By the way, anyone know a good sight(s) to buy high power 9mm, c-mount, or bar diodes?

Helios

rhd has some great 9mm modules for sale. Good price too. If you want to build it at a reasonable cost 9mm is the way to go. C-mount or bar diodes are going to require difficult mounting and lens setups to get a decent focus. Find a high power 9mm, pickup a rhd module and aixiz glass lens.

I know your looking for 808 but have you considered a 1.5+Watt 445nm?
Easier to work with & much less hazardous then IR. 445 will burn just as well as 808.
Your looking for a burner yes?

Thanks, I'll stick with 9mm for now. I already have a nice module, costed about 6 bucks including shipping on ebay and came with a nice glass lens and spring. Press fit is great because you can press it all the way in with your fingers. And yes, I am looking for a burner and I want to build a >1w 445 as my next project but right now I need something less bright without a visible beam. Also, 808s seem to have a bit higher efficiency.

I need something less bright without a visible beam.
Why do you prefer less apparent brightness / less visible beam? The brightness makes it safer to use, keeps you aware of the power at all times.

Helios

Why do you prefer less apparent brightness / less visible beam? The brightness makes it safer to use, keeps you aware of the power at all times.

Agreed.

I hope you realize that just because 808nm is not very visible so you wont notice the bright reflections does not mean that the invisible reflections are any lass harmful. If you shine a 1W 445nm at a white wall you will squint because it is BRIGHT and you know it is. If you shoot a 808nm at a wall it wont seem bright at all but your retinas will still be exposed to just as much reflected laser radiation.

Last edited:
If you shoot a 808nm at a wall it wont seem bright at all but your retinas will still be exposed to just as much reflected laser radiation.
Its worse, You pupils won't constrict & more laser light can reach your retina.
Diffuse reflections can really hurt you with IR.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of that so I always make sure I wear laser glasses to protect from reflections. I used to use 100mw greens without goggles and the brightness of looking at the beam on a wall would almost be too bright to look at so I'm sure that 1 watt or more reflected would be very bad for your eyes, even if it doesn't appear bright.