Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

where i can buy a front surface mirrors?

Hi. Where i can buy a front surface mirrors? I need for laser projector with stepper motors. Some rectangle pieces 1cm x 3cm. thanks

Encap

Hi. Where i can buy a front surface mirrors? I need for laser projector with stepper motors. Some rectangle pieces 1cm x 3cm. thanks

Google "laser front surface mirror" or just "front surface mirror"
There a dozens of sources offering them.

Fred at SurplusShed has some nice ones you can cut to size if you are careful--there is a nice keystone shaped one inside all Poliroid One-Step cameras-- (as well as a nice DC motor) I never pay more the 1-2$ for these at thrift shops. (film is now very hard to find)--long skinny ( 5 0r more) ones are inside all flat bed scanners--various thicknesses-- but cutable if you have the skillz..I have never paid for these old scanners...

GSS

I didn't want to derail XM360's RGB review and I noticed Arcticdude used some disc's from a hard drive for front surface meters.
How good are they and can they be cut easily?
I scored a few drives when I busted up a security module and it's just a thought.
Are these disc's also platinum plated?

diachi

I didn't want to derail XM360's RGB review and I noticed Arcticdude used some disc's from a hard drive for front surface meters.
How good are they and can they be cut easily?
I scored a few drives when I busted up a security module and it's just a thought.
Are these disc's also platinum plated?

Larger 3.5" disks are typically metal, smaller 2.5" disks are usually ceramic. Not sure on coatings on ease of cutting. They do make good mirrors though!

Another source for first surface mirrors (and rotating polygon mirrors for line generators) are laser printers.

Reactions: GSS

Benm

Hard disk platters aren't the most practical to use, though they can work.

Apart from things sold for this purpose on ebay and elsewhere, you could also look at medical/dental supplies. Mirrors used in dentistry and surgery often are first surface mirrors to avoid double images with all the risk of mistaking one reflection for another.

The dental ones usually aren't that large though - maybe up to circular with a 2 cm diameter.

Another source could actually be (replacement) mirrors for (D)SLR camera's. Those come in nicer sizes, but often are not that cheap.

Reactions: GSS
You can also buy the dental mirrors without the handle attached. They usually come in sets of ten or a dozen with a single handle to chage them out.

Benm

That might be more economical indeed, they work a bit like razors do: they sell you the handle for next to nothing but charge a lot for replacement blades. Third party replacement blades, mirrors (or ink cartridges) can be a very economical option, especially when you don't need the handle in the first place.

Getting them from ebay can be a bit tricky though: some are good quality, as good as the original, but there will also be knock offs.

you may be able to buy an 'optic train' (Kasio/ BenQ\P:Js) from DTR
you would get 2 nice size FSMs and two dichro mirrors for combining R-G and 455.
AND a bunch of nice lenses.