Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where do we get batteries these days?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I believe so, but they've always put out a good product IMO. I'm not sure which brands they use, or if it varies, but they seem to use a high quality cell to re-wrap.

Edit: I've read on an older thread at Candlepower forums that AW uses Panasonic cells.

Here's a Link to a good article on how to spot counterfeit AW batteries, and a Link to authorized AW sellers in the US.

Last edited:

A few years ago someone on the forum let us all know Walmart was selling 18650s. I have been buying them from Walmart since then, but are now discontinued in the stores area me. I recently ordered a 505nm from Sanu so I also ordered a bunch of 18650s from them to have. For 16340s I get them thru Amazon

Thx for all the sites guys!! I didn’t know about wholesaleliion. If you care to sift through, Alibaba sells tiny li-ion. I bought a couple 10220s off a vendor on there for $15 shipping and all. These are for a future key chain type build.

SGD

GSS

A few years ago someone on the forum let us all know Walmart was selling 18650s. I have been buying them from Walmart since then, but are now discontinued in the stores area me. I recently ordered a 505nm from Sanu so I also ordered a bunch of 18650s from them to have. For 16340s I get them thru Amazon
Thanx Bow, I never had any issue's with AW's and figured they were from good stock, was curious. I found it funny how some counterfeiters don't go to great lengths to make the fake stickers, you can tell a mile away the AW is crooked:whistle: some though are good at it.
Bruce, are you buying Walmart's 18650's online or the ones in the solar light's section?
Those are rated at a low 500mah or something low like that..

AW's are also re raps?

Yes most definitely.

The worst ones will have the word "fire" in their names.

Even worse are counterfeit cells. Lots of Sony VTC4 and LG HG2 are on the counterfeit market. This is why it's imperative to use a trusted supplier.

With loads <10A most will never know aside from shorter runtimes. But when the draw climbs over 20-30A the difference is immediately noticeable and can be dangerous. (thermal runaway and venting can occur which is obviously dangerous)

I guess I'll just stick to Panasonic cells. I do appreciate the great information here. :thanks:

Not so sure about EFest being re-wraps
I buy mine from BatteryJunction and the Efests had a hologram anti-counterfitting label which sure looked real. also BJ plays by the 'rules' concerning the shipping of Li-Ions-- EVERY side of the box had a warning label ! their 18350s are awesome! and while not much larger than the 16350s they lasted much longer before re-charge.

Efest is not a battery manufacturer. They wrap their label on OEM batteries. Could be LG or Samsung. Problem is you have no idea what you're getting. In the vape industry we have a saying "Friends don't let their friends vape Efest".

They, along with others will work on your devices. Problem is with devices requiring a certain amount of current (and in the case with Efest you can be assured that value is inflated over what the cell really can deliver), the voltage will sag and device performance will suffer (if you're lucky), or the cell will go into thermal runaway and violently vent. (something you don't want to happen especially if you're holding a vape near your face or a torch in your hand!)

Efests had a hologram anti-counterfitting label which sure looked real.

How about we don't pretend it's hard for china to make holographic foil ;)

4ZFebi0.jpg

I run a lot of 3 cell devices so I buy 6 cells and I test them straight out of the package and again after a full charge.

I mark each set of 3 and never mix them up.

I also test as they age to see they are evenly discharging, that is all at the same level before recharging, if 1 starts to come up short I discard it and keep the pair for 2 cell devices.

I just buy 18650s from vape shops. Some carry 18350s and those big ones that are the size of a D cell. Bit more expensive, but they sell good quality LG and Samsung cells at the one I go to.

If your in Canada, I've seen 18650s at Princess Auto, but they aren't a brand I've ever heard of, and the quality of batteries from Princess Auto is questionable.

Last edited:
I've got some Panasonic 3400 mAh 18650 batteries coming from liionwholesales tomorrow. Can't wait to test them to see how they hold up. I have had excellent luck with Panasonic cells.