Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where and what to buy...

This is my first time buying a high power laser and was wondering where to buy from and what to get. I've heard terrible things about Wicked Lasers and Dragon Lasers, but this forums seems bias about Wicked Lasers. I've heard good things about NOVA Lasers and Laser Glow though. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what mw laser I should get? I'm looking for something that can (easily) light matches and burn electrical tape. But I also don't have too much money. :'(

PS: I've heard people talk about CNI lasers but what are they? :-?

Welcome!!!!!

Wickeds lasers have been tested here on power and have, many times, come out to be UNDER-spec or just about spec. Their lasers are over-riced compared to other companies out there and their customer support, refund policies and forum SUCKS> If you say ANYTHING even close to negative about any of their products on their forum they will delete the topic and probably ban you immediately. Its not fair or "right"-but they are certainly they "biased" ones. We simply report-and get pissed-on the scams they pull.

I'm looking for something that can (easily) light matches and burn electrical tape. But I also don't have too much money. cry

"much money" is a little vague. The bare minimum you could light a match with is a 95mW. The cheapest youll get it for is above 200 anywhere you go.

Although, for your first green laser i wouldnt recommend something that big if you lack the funds. You can EASILY make your own red DIY laser for under 60 bucks. Greens run higher and you should basically buy them preinstalled... its a pain to make them :p

CNI is a chinese brand of lasers made by the Changchun New Industries Optoelectronics Technology Co.,Ltd, or, hence, CNI. they make lasers at large quantities and then sell them cheap. they are good lasers-and have good reviews. Dragonlasers, Novalasers, Techlasers, laser glow-they all sell CNI's. Even Wicked used to sell CNI's until they started coughing up their own hairballs-i mean lasers :D

Alot of companies rebadge and resell CNI lasers. For example the X series from Nova are CNI's.

For easily lighting matches and cutting tape without the aid of optics I'd guess around 125+mW

One good thing about Nova is that if you pay for a laser advertised at 125mW, you'll GET a laser thats atleast 125mW and probably even more than that. Can't say the same about alot of other popular laser companies.

{edit} Ooops.. Steelrain beat me to it. Anyway, what he said! ^^

my first laser was a wicked lasers evolution 55mw that cost 240 bucks, and it didnt do any thing and the thing broke 2 days after i got it. i returned it to them and then i did some researh and found nova lasers. i paid 50 dollars more and got an alpha 105mw. it came in a really nice case, it has plenty of safety features, and most of all, it melts and lights almost anything. it will lght a match as soon as the beam hits it and will cut through electrical tape with ease and even though i bought the 105mw, it is tests from them to be 122mw avg, and i was very happy about that, so from my experience, which aint that much, i would go with nova.

Razako

If you want a really cheap burning laser you should try dealextreme and get the true 100 mw laser. Those have some quality issues though.

Or you get an aries-75, optotronics ppl-100 or novalasers X-125 if you have at least $400 to spend.

Does anyone have any opinions about tech lasers? They're really cheap but what about quality?

laser_freak said:
Does anyone have any opinions about tech lasers? They're really cheap but what about quality?

Quality varies. Most people say they suck. They do have horrible technical and customer support so trying to fix issues with them i a real hassal. Also, their products have questionability as well, although i ordered a laser from there and it works fine.

Overall, dont buy from Techlasers unless you have absolutely no where else to go for lasers price-wise.

divdiv

Even if Techlasers distributed good quality lasers for a good price, their customer service is so bad that I would stay well away from them. They lied to me over and over again. I had to do a chargeback on them. I asked this in another earlier, but does anything have anything good or bad to say about Lucent Optics? Perhaps that might be an option for you.

Switch

They have a good reputation around here, many members are satisfied with their products and service.You can find many reviews on their lasers in the reviews section.Their lasers work as advertised and you get a 12 month warranty on a RPL which is a pretty good deal.I think there's a registered member here that works for them. :-/

Gazoo

laser_freak said:
I just found another site called optotronics. How are those? :-?

There are three laser companies most of us will recommend based on members experiences and reviews.

Optotronics
Nova
LaserGlow

You can't go wrong with any of the three but I will admit I am a Nova fan boy.. ;D

DX is a crapshoot, especially with their higher powered lasers.

Optotronics is excellent. You can talk to pseudonomen137 and get the same laser, accessories, warranty, etc for significantly cheaper.

Amnizu

Personally, I'd say Novalasers, as they tend to send out overpowered rather than underpowered units.