Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's wrong with my lens?

So, I got my lens dirty from smoke or something and I got a lenspen and a compressed air thing to clean it out. I used both of those, but there's still a weird looking spot on it. I even tried acetone, which helped a little bit, but the big spot is still there. It's a G-2 lens. Anyone have this issue before or have an idea of how to fix it? I'm leaning towards just buying a new lens, but that's about $30...
These pics were the best I could get with my shitty phone camera: Photo Album - Imgur

Blord

Is the raw output of the laser clean ? That is the dot without the lens.

Is the raw output of the laser clean ? That is the dot without the lens.

For the most part. It's a little ripply and there's a couple little dots on it, but other than that it's clean.
Photo Album - Imgur
EDIT: I know it's the lens because when I put the lens over it without it being in the housing, I can faintly see the spot, but when I pull it away it's gone.

Last edited:

Blord

Did you actually remove the glass lens from the barrel and soaked it in acetone/alcohol overnight ? If the smudge don't go off then I am afraid the lens need to be replaced.

daguin

It just looks like the lens is still dirty

Peace,
dave

Did you actually remove the glass lens from the barrel and soaked it in acetone/alcohol overnight ? If the smudge don't go off then I am afraid the lens need to be replaced.

I removed the lens from the barrel to wipe it with the lenspen. As for the acetone, I just wiped a little on it while it was still inside. I can soak it overnight if you think that will help. Should I put it in a bowl with the stuff over a microfiber cloth or what?

Blord

That is my way.

9mm-lens-7.jpg

That is my way.

I was worried if I did something like that it would get scratched. Well, you made my laser, so I guess I can trust your methods xD
EDIT: Is that a plastic or glass container?

Last edited:

Blord

It is a small plastic container. Be careful with a glass container because it can scratch your lens.

Acetone and plastic.... sometimes doesn't go well. Put a drop first to see if your bottle can take it? You won't want the bottle to dissolve on you...