Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats up? from C.A.

Hows it goin? I'm pretty new to the forum I've been reading and learning here for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm ready to build my first laser. I'm debating weather to start with a 405nM diode or a red diode. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ace82

Well that makes the first 3 posters of this thread Californians... :cool:

Well, it's really up to you. If you go for the 803T then you should be safe pushing ~90mW, some go more but I personally don't recommend it. As you've probably read, the Blu-ray has lots of cool effects due to its extremely short wavelength, basically its a laser the exact same color as a black light. One effect of coarse it the burning, most colors absorb 405nm light really well, so you can burn allot more materials then red.

The 650nm, depending on your diode, can be pushed allot higher, anywhere from 150-250mW and are much more limited in what materials it can burn, mostly darker or black. You would most likely have to make a black mark on a white match to light it with 150mW of red, but with 50mW of violet light up the white with ease.

Either laser will supply you with fun, and it will make you want MOAR POWER [smiley=evil.gif]

Right on the blue sounds awesome. Does it need a filter like the green? I read that blue uses crystals to make the laser color. So does a 405nM or 473nM it emit IR? I feel a little inexperienced to deal with that kind of stuff at this point.

Ace82

Well you should take some time and read this sticky: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?virboard=b_welcome;num=1206843997

But in a nut shell, 473nm is BLUE and basically works the same concept as the green, so the crystals are pumped from IR laser diode. 405nm is VIOLET and works the same concept as the reds, no IR at all, just straight violet light from the blu-ray diode... "blu-ray" is just the catchy name that stuck, sounds better the "violet-ray" I guess, but it is defiantly not BLUE. ;)