Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

whats the point of IR lasers?

Ive been wondering what the point of having an IR laser pointer is, and how would it show up using night vision goggles?

one word: BURNING

The way night vision works is through its sensitivity to IR light. All objects that produce heat also produce IR radiation, therefore if you can see IR, you can see anything that produces heat even in the complete absence of visible light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IR lasers sound rather dangerous to me. From what I've come to understand, they have the potential to be damn powerful (you could theoretically get a 2.5W portable IR laser). Combine that with being invisible and I reckon you've got a massively increased chance of blinding someone (without them even realizing it).

daguin

Lasers are dangerous.  Invisible lasers are more dangerous.  Use great care when using them.

That being said, thousands have used them without blinding anyone.

Even if you cannot see the beam, you should KNOW where it is pointed.

Peace,
dave

P.S.  I think if I was blinded by something, I would probably realize it ;) :D :p

With regards to whether or not you'd realize it, check out this quote from wikipedia... scary stuff :|
For example, some people exposed to high power Nd:YAG laser emitting invisible 1064 nm radiation, may not feel pain or notice immediate damage to their eyesight. A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

Last edited:

daguin

laze_doctor said:
Yep, I certainly do take great care -- just ask Murudai (he'd probably tell you I'm paranoid haha). Even so, I think I'll steer clear of IR lasers.

With regards to whether or not you'd realize it, check out this quote from wikipedia... scary stuff :|
For example, some people exposed to high power Nd:YAG laser emitting invisible 1064 nm radiation, may not feel pain or notice immediate damage to their eyesight. A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

Retinal damage (resulting in a "blind spot") and blindness are two different things.  My comment was a mild joke about the syntax of the sentence, that's all.  Hence the multiple silly smilies after the comment.

Peace,
dave