Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's the best choice for camping?

I've always had a green 5mw laser pen and people have always loved it while camping. When it get's dark shining it into the stars has always been impressive. I've followed all obvious safety with it. I recently lost that laser, have been considering getting something with a little more kick. I've been reading the stickies but am not understanding some things. How powerful can I go that would be safe to look at shining up, not reflecting off anything and without safety glasses?

I'm looking on dragon lasers at ones between 15mw up to 200mw. Obviously I am drawn towards the higher power but want to be certain I'm being as safe as possible. Also I'm having difficulty finding a brightness curve that is not people burning stuff on youtube. I just want the best possible visible beam I can get while being as eye safe as possible.

Well, I won't say what is safe simply because I don't want to ever be in that position of saying so, but I can say this, when looking at the beam shining up and away into the sky, 1 watt or 1000 mw of power ain't nothing I worry about.

Dragon lasers are pricey, if you didn't know there is sanwu website and jetlasers website that have great green lasers.

Gazen

The main danger when shining into the sky is distracting or hitting planes, which is a serious crime. Simply viewing a multi-watt laser in the sky presents no danger to the viewer.

But, With lasers above 500mW(class IV) diffuse reflections present a risk. Only lasers <5mW are considered eye safe.

Please make a post in the welcome section introducing yourself if you plan on posting more

Last edited:

GSS

100mw should be bright enough used carefully..
Need to know the 532nm dpss units do not work well when cold outside. Might want to consider a 520nm direct diode.

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes 1+W is fine for what you need outdoors , if your interested I have a 1700mW /445nm for sale .PM me if your interested .

Rich:)

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Hi,
Yes 1+W is fine for what you need outdoors , if your interested I have a 1700mW /445nm for sale .PM me if your interested .

Rich:)
Oh yeah Lifetime, didn't even think of a host and laser with a nice strong blue WL with 2 good reasons to bring camping:)
Spongle, that 445nm at 1700mw is as bright as a 170mw green and can light a camp fire:):)

Last edited:
When looking at the visibility of light, the wavelengths in green are more visible mW for mW than any other color. As you go further out in the red wavelengths and blue/violet you lose a lot of that visibility and even at very high powers they just aren't as visible as green. 660nm in red and 405nm in blue/violet are the outside wavelengths of common laser diodes available to us at reasonable prices. They are not nearly as visible as a 520nm green direct diode or a 532nm DPSS laser. While it is true that 532nm DPSS lasers are temperature sensitive and need to warm up to work well outside they also have great divergence specs over direct diode lasers and hold the beam tighter for a greater distance.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll be doing more research and may return.