Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's a Fasor?

Could someone explain to me what a Fasor is? How is it different than a laser?

thanks

Switch

I vaguely recall a fasor being some geometrical notion, and probably has nothing to do with a laser.

simplysped2 said:
Could someone explain to me what a Fasor is? How is it different than a laser?

thanks

Do you mean the KipKay Blu-ray laser phazer?

It says in the "applications section on that Wiki article that the one in the image uses an LBO crystal set... isn't that the type the 473nm blues use?
And what do the 593.5nm amber (yellow/orange) lasers like the Vega and Rigel use? Could those be fasors?

Dunno, I also saw that. Maybe it works with all frequencies at acceptable intensities.

Because that would be rather cool, as it would dramatically expand the amount of wavelengths a home laserist would be able to create.

By the way, did you know that Gatorade contains KDP? Yup, the crystal in your pointers (well, maybe not there).
I wonder whether Gatorade would lase if shone at with a powerful enough beam?

Switch

RA_pierce said:
It says in the "applications section on that Wiki article that the one in the image uses an LBO crystal set... isn't that the type the 473nm blues use?
And what do the 593.5nm amber (yellow/orange) lasers like the Vega and Rigel use? Could those be fasors?

Actually yellow/orange (well 593nm) lasers do work that way.They're called sum frequency lasers.You have to get the Nd:YVO4 cristal to generate both 1064 and 1342.These 2 waves are introduced into the KTP which generates the 593.5nm output.Yea they use the same components as the green lasers only the cristals have different coatings to behave in a different way.
I guess they could be called fasors? :-?
Blue lasers on the other hand don't use sum frequency, so they're probably not fasors...But hey, anyone who has a yellow pointer can call it a "fasor pointer" :D

And as far as I know, most comercially available and accesible DPSS lasers use KTP not KDP, and I don't think Gatorade would produce laser light because of the KDP it contains, but who knows, maybe someones gonna make a Gatorade laser one day.....it sounds more plausible than the cow milk laser... ::)

It sure would cool if you could shine your "portable" 20W IR "pointer" into a bottle of Gatorade and get a green beam out the other side ;)
Although considering the powers required to get a visible beam, I'd say the IR would need to be even higher, maybe around 30...40W? Kinda spoils the fun.

But the way I understood it, "Fasor" is just the technology, so it wouldn't be a fasor pointer, but rather a fasor laser?

i wonder if you let gaterade bottle evaporate all the water and those little sugar crystals it leaves behind would turn ir into green, that would be so cool, alhtough at the effeciancy it would take like 20w of ir to get 1mw of green probably.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Switch

Lol, the Gatorade would probably start to boil :D

Laser is also the technology: light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.It doesn't say anywhere "collimated beam of coherent light", yet we call them laser pointers since the word "laser" has become a noun rather than an acronym.It even has it's own verb "to lase"(though I really find that stupid , since "laser" comes from the acronym L.A.S.E.R., and is not derived from the verb "to lase", where the heck did that verb come from??)
But we could use "fasor" the same way right? :D Then we'll have a new verb "to fase" :-/ ....there you have it people, yellow lasers fase ;D

I seriously doubt Gatorade will lase. Maybe evaporate. As far as uses for Gatorade in laser technology... maybe as a substitute for H2O in water cooled lasers.

"Water sucks! It really really sucks!"
:p

Well, you could say Light amplificator by SER...although that is two-fold wrong!

Okay, I see waht you mean. Bu I am trying to point out that a Fasor is not different to a Laser like a Maser or Raser would be, but that it is just an "enhancement" of the laser, but basically still a laser.

Still, judging from the colour I could imagine Gatorade would fluorescene wildly when shone at with the right frequency, but that might also just be a weird idea.

Anyways, people, if you ever ran a long marathon but only had a bottle of water and a herc with you, just dissolve some of that crystal in it and drink it ;)

and probably die, either from some sort of poisoning of from the angry LPF mob that chases you for killing a herc just because you didn't buy some lame old gatorade ;) ;)

L

likewhat

I read up on it a little, it is not the same as a laser and it is just an acronym for a system that uses sum frequency generation in a cavity to produce an output that is bluer than the inputs. It is similar to frequency doubling in that there is a specific nonlinear process that must occur, and the conditions to make that happen require high intensity and phase matching in the crystal. In order to get high intensity CW you have to put it in a cavity, the cavity also has to be resonant with both colors of light simultaneously. This is why the nonlinear crystal in green DPSS lasers is inside the lasing cavity, if it was outside you would get very little green light. Once you have a cavity with a crystal and you can keep the 2 colors resonant (so that there is high intensity in the cavity), much like frequency doubling you just adjust the angle of the crystal until the phase matching condition occurs and then you get the new bluer output.