Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

What size IR-Filter would fit the generic $10 laser

Anonymous0531

Lasers like the laser 303 or 301.

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
But then you would reduce the output power by ~15 or more percent! Just joking but curious why you want to filter it out.

You can buy these filters on ebay and cut one down to size with a glass cutter. Make a round one a square, or cut this one to size and glue it on over the output.

Anonymous0531

But then you would reduce the output power by ~15 or more percent! Just joking but curious why you want to filter it out.

You can buy these filters on ebay and cut one down to size with a glass cutter. Make a round one a square, or cut this one to size and glue it on over the output.
My brother is very concerned about infrared leakage, that's all.

paul1598419

That is silly. The IR content is 1064nm and basically follows the visible beam. It diverges a bit more quickly, but once that happens the 15 mW of IR is of no concern any longer. These lasers tend to peak ~80 mW, so 20% of that is usually the IR content. As it diverges it tends to make a cone shape which is far less power that can harm your retinas.

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I use those filters to see about how much of the output percentage is IR by measuring before and after inserting the filter, but not for any reason beyond that. I also have some filters which only let IR though to accomplish the same thing. The figure will not be completely accurate though as there are other losses involved.

paul1598419

I also have some of these filters. They weren't at all expensive when I purchased them. I made a couple of builds incorporating them, but there was no visual difference I could ascertain. I still have a few left in my stock, but I haven't thought about using one in years now. Not even sure where to starting looking for them if I were to want one.