Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What makes a good camera for lasers?

DJNY

I´m going to get a CANON EOS 20d - the cam was released back in 2004

Anyone knows if it is still good?

v33

The Sony DSC-V3 which you can pick up for next to nothing has a 4 color RGB sensor (it adds cyan) and is good for beamshots.

DJNY - The 20d is still a good camera, though I would want a pretty good deal on it. You will get full manual control which is a big plus.

v33

The Sony DSC-V3 which you can pick up for next to nothing has a 4 color RGB sensor (it adds cyan) and is good for beamshots.

DJNY - The 20d is still a good camera, though I would want a pretty good deal on it. You will get full manual control which is a big plus.

Heh, the v3 is still 200+ on ebay so I wouldn't call that 'next to nothing' like the 7600 I just got for $30 heh. Which should be here tomorrow.

I'll keep the v3 in mind though if i'm not happy with the 7600 for beamshots.

v33

Heh, the v3 is still 200+ on ebay so I wouldn't call that 'next to nothing' like the 7600 I just got for $30 heh. Which should be here tomorrow.

I'll keep the v3 in mind though if i'm not happy with the 7600 for beamshots.

Ooops! The one there for $250 is way overpriced. I've seen them go for less than $100. I expected better price than that, should have looked before I posted. :)

DJNY

Yeah I agree, Not only that but Im big into buying high quality stuff and Jetlasers seems to produce just that. Are you still thinking about buying one, and do you think they could ship overspec, or would that result in a higher wavelength of 640nm+?

I got the 40mW 635nm MXDL from DTR. Won´t get the 635nm Ti Pen, but I´m going to get the Ti-B 532nm once it is finished.

My dad bought a new cam for himself and asked me if I want it. So I think it´s a good deal :p
Thanks!

Benm

Manual control is a great if you want to do beamshots. Some camera's offer semi-manual control, where you can set the shutter time (shutter priority mode) and it calculates the aperture. Since you can usually also set the exposure between -2 and +2 stops, it effective boils down to manual control. If you buy a camera of this type, make sure you can set long shutter times - 15 seconds or more would be best.

A used camera can be fine: you don't need an idiotic amount of megapixels, and some of the older 4-6 megapixel sensors are actually pretty good in sensitivity and noise.

A used camera can be fine: you don't need an idiotic amount of megapixels, and some of the older 4-6 megapixel sensors are actually pretty good in sensitivity and noise.

Especially if your primarily just posting them here.. since they'll most likely be resized to 800x600 anyway unless you just like hearing people complain. :tinfoil:

But I disagree about having 'full manual' modes being enough. as I mentioned before, my Z1015 IS has a full manual mode, but I still haven't been happy with it for beamshots. I think color reproduction ability just depends on what kind of sensor it has, more than the settings.

Qumefox; Thought of this before, but just didn't mention it; from what you described; could it be that your camera has some kind of built-in "chromatic correction" in it to slightly suppress UV? (in the optics)

Last edited:
More than likely it just has a good UV filter already in the optics assembly. Which in general photography.. isn't a bad thing. I got the 7600 today. Haven't tried any beam shots but I played with a 405 with it and I could already tell an improvement.. since the dot was bright and violet.. instead of dim and blue like it'd be on my 1015. heh.

I didn't realize how small of a camera the 7600 is though heh. The thing is tiny.