Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What lens is this?

That's possible. It's hard to tell. G1s and G2s are nearly identical and 9mm lenses from my exp seem to have a little bit of artifacts with diodes other than the 9mms. Either way the three types of single element lenses are nearly identical. The term element means lens so if it has one lens in the barrel then its a single element and 3-element lenses have three small lenses.within the barrel.

JLM

That's possible. It's hard to tell. G1s and G2s are nearly identical and 9mm lenses from my exp seem to have a little bit of artifacts with diodes other than the 9mms. Either way the three types of single element lenses are nearly identical. The term element means lens so if it has one lens in the barrel then its a single element and 3-element lenses have three small lenses.within the barrel.

For me the 9mm lens well cleaned is more than good, in my case I don’t have any artifact issue with it, I have 1/G1, 3/G2 and 2/9mm and all perform identical in the LPM and the divergence is the same. I cleaned the 9mm with pure acetone (Laboratory Grade) and finally a q-type with absolute ethanol (dried ethanol +/- 98% pure). :beer:

My lens may just have some dust or something on it now. Its definitely not glue on the lens front so that's not what I'm seeing. I will have to clean it again and see if it goes away. I do agree on divergence and output being identical though.

Yes it does have an amber color to it, but my camera does not pick it up. Either way im happy with it. Now I am confused as to what my power output is, because when I was told the lasers power output, it was supposed to be with a "3 element Aixiz lens". So, I don't know if I was just sent the wrong lens or the wrong laser all together, as it was not the only one the builder had built and for sale... Looks like a 2.5W+ LPM is going to be my next buy, along with a new laser. Feb 1st is not coming fast enough :D

-Shane

Last edited:

JLM

Yes you have the 9mm lens, it’s a little amber in the coating. The G2 is red and very noticeable and the G1 look like a mirror.

Last edited:
My lens may just have some dust or something on it now. Its definitely not glue on the lens front so that's not what I'm seeing. I will have to clean it again and see if it goes away. I do agree on divergence and output being identical though.

I am a smoker and I have 2 dogs and a cat. My wife and I keep our house very clean, but the dust is still high. I find that after a week of laser use, no matter where I keep it stored, the lens needs to be cleaned. I just use a microfiber that came with my Eagle Pair.

Raw Diode Output
rawdiode.jpg

Dirty Lens Unfocused
dirty.jpg

Clean-er Lens Unfocused
clean.jpg

^^Looks like some of that fungi I have heard about. Bet the Florida humidity on it :p

Last edited:

JLM

Is very hard clean very well the lens, in my opinion your cleaned lens looks ok. Remember if you clean it many times eventually you will scratch it a little.

Look like the 9mm 445nm original lens in the DTR barrel. The G2 is red coating and the G1 is silver coating. The stoke 9mm look transparent, little coloring amber in the coating, like this one in the picture.

Thank you +Rep

Reactions: JLM

Blord

First I clean my lenses with acetone or alcohol for removing fingerprints, stubborn particles etc.
For the finishing touch I use clean lens tissue with distilled water. The lens looks much better when you use distilled water instead of acetone or alcohol as last step.
And hold the lens with a tweezers and not with your fingers. :)

You should try that. It works very good for me.

Last edited:
I will definitely have to give that a try. Distilled water makes perfect sense though. Its a good solvent in itself and would leave absolutely zero residue. I am going to see about getting my hands on some high concentration isopropyl alcohol and distilled water and clean up all my lenses.

The other day I was out of alcohol and just about anything I could think of other than windex. It worked surprisingly well and is known for leaning minimal residue. It was certainly better than nothing.

First I clean my lenses with acetone or alcohol for removing fingerprints, stubborn particles etc.
For the finishing touch I use clean lens tissue with distilled water. The lens looks much better when you use distilled water instead of acetone or alcohol as last step.
And hold the lens with a tweezers and not with your fingers. :)

You should try that. It works very good for me.

I just happen to stock distilled water for my Keurig coffee maker :)
Thank you for the information :beer:
+Rep

Last edited: