Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what laser glasses ?

hello there, ive been looking around at to what glasses/goggles to buy and it seems that they cover small wave length being i would have to buy 3+ different sets of glasses to cover me from blue red green etc wave lengths.
Is there glasses out there that cover a larger field, that arent too pricey and avalible to the uk.

Only laser have is a 5mw green laser, and plan to get blue red and green lasers and dont want loads of glasses kicking about. also a friend has got a ir laser and would like to see that in action - burning :p but he has only the one pair of glasses.

Any help would be great, even anyone selling somthing helpful would be good.

Cheers

Ah but would still need a different set again to cover red and Ir lasers

Cheers

there are multiple glasses that block most "typical" wavelength (405-532nm or just 600+-) from pointers lasers. when they start blocking the red and infrared along with the 405-532nm the glasses become darker - harder to see. These glasses are also more expensive.
How much do you want to spend and how much light do you want blocked?
Some brands that make multiple wavelength glasses are: (listed cheaper to more expensive)
  1. eagle
  2. dino direct
  3. laserglow
  4. Yamamoto
  5. cni
  6. oem
  7. thor labs
  8. and others

well i didnt remember many cheap names right now. I will try to update or pm me. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
When you say how much light do i want blocked? i just want some that are safe for me to look at the dot and beam and protect incase of direct contact. cheap as possible i guess :p

You can block all wavelengths with goggles made of bricks, but you'll probably need the filters to pass some light to see anything at all. The best thing is to get goggles that cover the major laser types you'll own. Here's my loadout:

- Green, IR, and low-power red (< 150mW or so) - I use the OEM ML7. They're $150, but one of the few green-protection goggles that also protect against the IR that green diodes produce. If you're only going to use green, you can get those cheapo red laser enhancement goggles that are everywhere. They don't block IR, however, which green lasers, especially cheap ones, produce a lot of.

- 445nm and 405nm - I got the YLW because they provide very good protection for even very high powered 445nm lasers, and yet don't block much remaining light so it's easy for me to see what I'm doing. They're $100.

- Red lasers - I have some old pair from WL that supposedly has OD2, but who really knows. I don't have many red lasers of any notable power, so I haven't bought any certified protection for red yet.

If I were you, I'd buy a good pair of goggles for the specific laser you're going to work a lot with. I spent about $350-$400 total on my goggles (got two ML7s). That sounds like a lot, but my eyes are priceless. I've already had a direct hit that would've blinded me if I hadn't had goggles on. They've paid for themselves in that regard.

A friends has them, They have on the lens 200-540 800-2000 and 4OD written after that written on the lens. they are available from dinodirect also

Cheers

I guess if you guys are using low powered lasers it might be alright.

If your friend has them then point a few lasers through them and see if they block the light. Put a piece of paper on one side, and shine the lasers on the opposite side, if you see a clear dot, then you aren't being protected.

Ah ok, what spec wise is it im looking for with glasses ? if it price more you pay better they are?

Cheers

It depends on what power the laser is putting out. If they are under 50mW, most cheaper Chinese glasses will work. If you're going up around 1W you'll need better glasses.