Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What laser color should I get?

Hello I wanted to see some opinions on what laser color I should get.

I was deciding between these 3 colors:

Green
Blue
Yellow

I've owned a 200MW O-Like Red Laser before and I liked it but it was red and didn't shine to brightly at night of course.

I wanted something that would catch the attention of my neighbors and other people; which color would do the best job?

Last edited:

445nm blue it will catch the attention of everyone around you and in some cases the cops, but I like blue. Green is much brighter to our eyes but the good ones are a bit pricey, yellow is daddy warbucks price range but looks cool, low power, and rare.

^ sums a lot up

If you're looking for something bright: green is the way to go. 200mW of green should be as bright as many of the 445nm (dark blue/royal blue) lasers (200mW green = 1500mW royal blue for beam? I think?). If I were looking for a green now, I'd buy from the jetlasers group buy. One of their 600mW units peaked 1204mW (or something) for another member, get 'em while they're quality.

However, I'll add: There's a few "main" types of blues, I assume you're looking for a handheld. Most common now are the 445's... they're everywhere. beam's pretty bright, my friend managed to see it from his house about 500 meters away. But, if you want something more exotic, try looking for Lasever.com, the owner, David, sells some nice "light blue" 473nm lasers "cheap" (cheap compared to other stores, i got 100+mW of light blue for $390 :D) I have a personal preference for lighter shades of blue, just more "easy on the eyes". Beam's pretty visible at night, not as well as 445nm, but that's due to the lower power.

Yellow: if you're looking for a unique color that rarely anybody has ever seen, this is the most accessable out of the bunch. Not too bright in "readily available" powers, but worth it IMO. I need one soon... Try looking at laserglow's 593.5nm Rigel 6, best buy currently out there. However, I prefer the slightly more yellow side of things so I plan on buying the rigel HV or the HV pro. (589nm)

Go with whatever sounds best to you at this point, let nobody fully choose your own decisions :D

Hope this helped,
-Zach

Last edited:

Green
Blue
Yellow

I've owned a 200MW O-Like Red Laser before and I liked it but it was red and didn't shine to brightly at night of course.

I wanted something that would catch the attention of my neighbors and other people; which color would do the best job?

Whatever color pleases you...

It's like asking.... "what color car should I get"...
Same answer...

Jerry

Last edited:

AnthoT

Green
Blue
Yellow

Ive always liked blue but it's really what you want

Everyone's eyes are different and every one likes a different color, you know up to a point.

So for me, my favorite laser color is 589 next to 473 but that would be be incomplete with out 650 and 532 so I think maybe you should get get something in the RGB range :eg:

You just can't beat the royal color of gold :D

Last edited:

up2u

Yellow is like 800$+ For a low mW so.

I suggest BLue, You got 1000-1250mW for about 90$-110$

Ok green is the most visible but you can buy a greenie on dealextream so there not that rare,underspec but not rare blue is the most powerful ive see some builds hit 2.3 watts so if you want to impress someone with capability thats the way to go now unfortunaltly in the higher powers it they have to be built into large bulky hosts to deal the with the massive ammount of heat produed by the diode now yellow is quite rare and very expensive its also quite hard to find some of the higher powers in this color and even if you do there either astronomicly high in price and/or huge due to the dpss process ony being around 1-4% efficent or green and red being beam spliced to make a somewhat artifical yellow beam so in conclusion
Green-high visibilities readly avalible but not to rare
Blue-powerful monster capable of wowing anyone who hasn't seen what one can do but also quite common and the higher powers tend to have to be built into bulkier hosts
yellow-exotic expensive wavelenth but very few people have one so its bound to make an impression

Last edited: