Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the specs for IR diode out of the PHR-803T

Re: What is the specs for IR diode out of the PHR-

Low-power (<5mW) near IR diode. Pretty much the standard diode for reading CDs. Nothing exciting..

Is it a dangerous diode to play around with because it is ir? If I wanted to use it to replace my dead blu ray diode would it work?

Ace82

DNMEBOY said:
Is it a dangerous diode to play around with because it is ir? If I wanted to use it to replace my dead blu ray diode would it work?

Being at 5-10mW, it's not dangerous at all, but I wouldn't recomend staring into the beam.  And it's not like 100mW of ir would be that dangerous either as long as you're responsible and don't stare into the invisible beam or stare at the invisible dot, although it would be very wise to wear the proper safety goggles and very unwise not to.   Compare it to 100mW of green though you can't see it. Ir has the potential of being very dangerous because it is completely absorbed by your retina although your pupils won't react and allow the full amount of photons in.  I'm not saying to be careless, but try to understand why people freak out about ir so badly, mostly is because they don't understand it.  

You could probably replace the ir diode in your dead blu-ray, but depending on the current you're running it at, and you would need to lower the voltage to around 3V, so it all depends on your host and driver.