Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the problem with ball lense laser diodes?

reloader45

Hello,

as I learned, most of the 465 nm power diodes have a ball lense. Some make a tight spot, some not. Decapping the diodes will decrease the lifetime of the diodes.

Is it possible to use a second lense in front of the ball lense to improve divergence?

I can make the special heat sink by myself, so that is not the problem.

best regards

Edgar

You can use either another ball lens to do this or a backward G2 lens plus another collimating lens. But, you will introduce more loss by using so many lenses.

Hello,

as I learned, most of the 465 nm power diodes have a ball lense. Some make a tight spot, some not. Decapping the diodes will decrease the lifetime of the diodes.

Is it possible to use a second lense in front of the ball lense to improve divergence?

I can make the special heat sink by myself, so that is not the problem.

best regards

Edgar
A Keplerian beam expander coinsists of two positive lenses. I think it would work. The only problem that I see is a ball lens has a very short focal length creating a fast expansion past the focal point necessitating a very wide diameter collimating lens. This would an interesting optical engineering project.
Another problem is the spelling.

Hi,
I have built this new unit for sale, its a 465/4770 diode with ball lens. I do also ball lens diodes open can and if you don't take the lens in and out they last a long time regardless . Just take care of you lasers and keep a reasonable duty cycle. We run these diode well over from what they are intended for. So treat them with respect and dont look for the Holy Grail of mW's.
Rich:)fullsizeoutput_bb1.jpegIMG_4789.JPGIMG_4788.JPG

reloader45

Hello,

is this a a ball lens with a G2 lens in front of it?

My 465 nm Diode seems to be an open Diode with a little window glued on the front end.

I think this Diode is a good burner. During the test run I accidently smoked some rubber, that was 0,5 m away.

best regards

Edgar

reloader45

Hello,

today I finished my laserpointer with the 465 nm Diode from a module that I bougt from Techhood. I ordered it as a 3,5 W module.
With the original 2,5 A the oputput with a glas lens is only 1500 mW. This is not much, although the beam is very visible.
Maybe this open can diode dies quickly. I will check this after some use.

best regards

Edgar