Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the power meter commonly used?

Ken Hudd

A lot of the veteran members that I noticed in the past used a specific type of meter that measured the mw power of their lasers on here. It was from quotes of several years past, and I cant remember the name of it.
One member stated that it cost around $179.
I am looking for a type that can measure from around 35mw to 10w. It doesn't have to be portable.
I am sure any up to date advice would come in handy to any new members.

GSS

Did not know they had the 10W now:):)
I was just thinking his 7W+ unit should do..

Ken Hudd

They do now. Look at the A10. ;)

LaserBee A10
I am sure it is a good one. But that price.....*ouch*. I may have to wait until more companies hop on the gravy train on that one. I just have such a huge watt variation on these little buggers, from 40nw to 7+w! Plus I still love my rifles and pistols. RCBS reloading on that is a Godsend!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I hate to break it to you, but unless you manage to locate a second hand unit on eBay. Laserbee is the cheaper and reliable commercial option.
You may be able to locate an LPM that states it can handle those power ranges for cheaper. But I was in discussion with the company owner (Jerry) during the prototype stages and there were several problems that had to be overcome before it was achieved. I have melted sections by accident of my Scientech head with a NUBM44.

Ken Hudd

Tha
I hate to break it to you, but unless you manage to locate a second hand unit on eBay. Laserbee is the cheaper and reliable commercial option.
You may be able to locate an LPM that states it can handle those power ranges for cheaper. But I was in discussion with the company owner (Jerry) during the prototype stages and there were several problems that had to be overcome before it was achieved. I have melted sections by accident of my Scientech head with a NUBM44.
Thanks Curtiss. Your advice is very useful. I'd better take this A10 model into serious consideration with your words. But as of right now, that Sanwu 7w put a serious damper on my funds. If I had not been a widow, I would have never been able to get into this hobby in the first place. It would be far better buying a reliable appliance than buying two so-so appliances at half the price. Again, thanks

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I didn't know Jerry had a 10W unit available either, that's good to know! :)
The "Laserbee A10" looks like the way to go, for $289 or $339 for the RTA rapid response model, you're probably not going to find anything better, especially for a new, calibrated, warranted meter.

You could try and build or buy an "Ophir" sensor based meter, but these days you probably won't find the Ophir sensor head alone for any less than the complete Laserbee unit.

I thought he posted 10w -- did he mean 10W?
and yeah I know the answer but.. lets get the simple stuff right.
also use LPMs not just 'meter' I was about too find you the nearest HARBORFREIGHT in Tenn.
*where* you can get a 'meter' free when buying anything else..
as said --when the powers get that high your sensor could be damaged many ways.
Check all sources before spending that much AND study up some --it 'shows' that you need to do that..

sorry- just being honest with you.

We add links on our 'sigs' for a good reason but we cannot 'make' you read them.
People (like dr. sam) get PHDs in lasers--spend YEARS of study -- it is not all that different from a brain scientist or rocket surgeon.. ( see what I did there?? yukyuk)
My point is no 'vet' here would say they now 'know it all' we learn every day..and you are new so...
You could read at Sam's Laser every day for a year and not know 'it' all.

You could spend a lot of time at laserpointersafety.org and still go to jail unless you 'take it
all in' and use that knowledge.
The 'search' does not mind being asked the same questions over and over.
We , on the other hand.....well you know.

'wax on wax off'.. then repeat.

hak

I am selling my Ophir 20C power sensor and meter, it can read up to 18W heatsinked (maybe more) which can be done for less than $10-$20. And 4W otherwise. Response time is faster than most any other lpm you can get in the price range too (0.8 seconds to 95%). It can take readings stand alone or with data logging (on the computer). Pm me if your interested.

Last edited:

Ken Hudd

I thought he posted 10w -- did he mean 10W?
and yeah I know the answer but.. lets get the simple stuff right.
also use LPMs not just 'meter' I was about too find you the nearest HARBORFREIGHT in Tenn.
*where* you can get a 'meter' free when buying anything else..
as said --when the powers get that high your sensor could be damaged many ways.
Check all sources before spending that much AND study up some --it 'shows' that you need to do that..

sorry- just being honest with you.

We add links on our 'sigs' for a good reason but we cannot 'make' you read them.
People (like dr. sam) get PHDs in lasers--spend YEARS of study -- it is not all that different from a brain scientist or rocket surgeon.. ( see what I did there?? yukyuk)
My point is no 'vet' here would say they now 'know it all' we learn every day..and you are new so...
You could read at Sam's Laser every day for a year and not know 'it' all.

You could spend a lot of time at laserpointersafety.org and still go to jail unless you 'take it
all in' and use that knowledge.
The 'search' does not mind being asked the same questions over and over.
We , on the other hand.....well you know.

'wax on wax off'.. then repeat.

hak
My loss is my memory. I can still spend 5 seconds searching for that 'q' to type!

LaserRanger

So laserbee LPM is recommended as a first LPM or is there a cheaper alternative?

GSS

Lets just say he has invested some serious time, research and money to give us the best top notch affordable LPM for this hobby.
There are cheaper Hyperions meter's but are not easy to find anymore, with no support to be found I think and are just a bare digital meter and a sensor.

LaserRanger

Lets just say he has invested some serious time, research and money to give us the best top notch affordable LPM for this hobby.
There are cheaper Hyperions meter's but are not easy to find anymore, with no support to be found I think and are just a bare digital meter and a sensor.

I do see a lot of people who mention laserbee and how he chimes in from time to time in threads about lpms and Im interested but I wanted to get more feedback for LPF members