Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the most powerful laser I can get?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It's the same with 589. Put a stronger 532 next to the 589 and it becomes more orange. Then put a strong 650 next to it and it turns yellower. Lasers like to play with your cones.

diachi

It's the same with 589. Put a stronger 532 next to the 589 and it becomes more orange. Then put a strong 650 next to it and it turns yellower. Lasers like to play with your cones.

Yep, I was going to use the 532nm and 488nm example, 532nm looks a lot more yellow next to that - and the deeper blues too IIRC.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Haven't tested 488nm yet, but that is good to know. Our eyes just want to play tricks on us, when all we want to do is enjoy our favourite wavelengths :D

diachi

Haven't tested 488nm yet, but that is good to know. Our eyes just want to play tricks on us, when all we want to do is enjoy our favourite wavelengths :D

Didn't manage to get that JDSU head in your sig fired up? :(

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Not yet, I have had to let that take a backseat for a bit. I am in my last year of my degree, and have a VR project that is going to set me back ~£3200. I need to get hold of a HTC Vive and a laptop with a GTX 1080 GPU. I really hope my argon actually works.

diachi

Not yet, I have had to let that take a backseat for a bit. I am in my last year of my degree, and have a VR project that is going to set me back ~£3200. I need to get hold of a HTC Vive and a laptop with a GTX 1080 GPU. I really hope my argon actually works.

>Laptop with a GTX1080

:eek::eek:

I'm assuming it'll be in one of those external PCIe docks?

Expensive, but sounds good - been wanting to try out VR for a while myself.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Believe it or not, it is a MSI gaming laptop with no need for a PCIe.
Yes, it is going to leave me poor for a long while. But worth the experience and job opportunities. Have you tried out Google Cardboard. It is a good way of at least experiencing a VR like experience for really cheap. It is what I started out using.

diachi

Believe it or not, it is a MSI gaming laptop with no need for a PCIe.
Yes, it is going to leave me poor for a long while. But worth the experience and job opportunities. Have you tried out Google Cardboard. It is a good way of at least experiencing a VR like experience for really cheap. It is what I started out using.

Ooooh, that's a beefy laptop. Hadn't seen any with a 1080 yet, only older cards. Got the rest of the specs (Inc. size)? :D

If the rest of the components are as cutting edge as the 1080 then that laptop should last you for years and still be performing well. A worthwhile investment.

I haven't tried that yet, not sure how well my S5 would handle it - may need to look into it. Maybe I'll grab the Samsung Gear VR when I eventually get around to upgrading to the S7. :D

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
MSI GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-220UK
i7 6700HQ 2.6Ghz (3.5GHz Turboboost) Quad Core 6MB Cache
17.3" 120Hz 1920x1080
16GB DDR4 (2133MHz)
256GB SSD + 1000GB
Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Dedicated Memory) Most important aspect.
5x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.1 Type C
428 x 24~49 x 287 mm (WxHxD) 3.86kg
It also has a pretty back-lit keyboard that you control its lights.

Need a bank loan just to afford it £2459.99. :D

If you have a Samsung definitely go for the Gear VR to try it out. :)

diachi

MSI GT73VR 6RF(Titan Pro)-220UK
i7 6700HQ 2.6Ghz (3.5GHz Turboboost) Quad Core 6MB Cache
17.3" 120Hz 1920x1080
16GB DDR4 (2133MHz)
256GB SSD + 1000GB
Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Dedicated Memory) Most important aspect.
5x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.1 Type C
428 x 24~49 x 287 mm (WxHxD) 3.86kg
It also has a pretty back-lit keyboard that you control its lights.

Need a bank loan just to afford it £2459.99. :D

If you have a Samsung definitely go for the Gear VR to try it out. :)

Mother of god, that thing is a beast! That's going to be lightning quick with those specs - look at it this way, assuming you have no hardware issues it should still be performing well 5 years from now - so really it's only 500 quid a year! :D

I've yet to try out any VR ... I don't think there's anywhere in town that has a demo system setup. Small "city" (18,000 people) problems. I'll need to try it out before I pull the trigger. :D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh most definitely will be quick. It will need to be, as I have to run Unreal Engine and the Vive together. The way you are looking at it, doesn't make it seem to bad. :) Anyway, I need to get a bank loan approved first, otherwise no true VR for me either.

I agree with testing first. Shame you are quite remote. Or ... :eg: get a bank loan and do what I am doing. :D

diachi

Oh most definitely will be quick. It will need to be, as I have to run Unreal Engine and the Vive together. The way you are looking at it, doesn't make it seem to bad. :) Anyway, I need to get a bank loan approved first, otherwise no true VR for me either.

I agree with testing first. Shame you are quite remote. Or ... :eg: get a bank loan and do what I am doing. :D

Always look on the bright side of life! :whistle:

I'll cross my fingers for you! :D

Yeah ... not going down that road. Truck has two payments left, then I need to sort out the credit card. I'm not taking on any more debt for quite a while after that haha. Maybe if I move in with my girlfriend, won't need to be spending $1600/mo on rent that way :crackup:. So much spare laser money then...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Always look on the bright side of life! :whistle:

I'll cross my fingers for you! :D

Yeah ... not going down that road. Truck has two payments left, then I need to sort out the credit card. I'm not taking on any more debt for quite a while after that haha. Maybe if I move in with my girlfriend, won't need to be spending $1600/mo on rent that way :crackup:. So much spare laser money then...

Thanks a lot Diachi :)
Yes, do try to avoid getting into more debt. Otherwise there will be no laser budget at all. I don't know if your girlfriend would agree with the reason for moving in :D

diachi

Thanks a lot Diachi :)
Yes, do try to avoid getting into more debt. Otherwise there will be no laser budget at all. I don't know if your girlfriend would agree with the reason for moving in :D

The laser budget is currently $0 anyway. :crackup:And to be fair, my remaining debt is less than what you'd be taking on for that laptop. :beer:

Haha, I agree, of course that isn't the sole reason for wanting to live together, but living together would certainly help us both out financially. :p

I'm sure there was a PC thread in the other section, should post your new toy in there once you get it!

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
True, my debt would be big. If it is the right thing for both of you, maybe you should look into it. As for the pc thread maybe, or even the vr thread.

diachi

True, my debt would be big. If it is the right thing for both of you, maybe you should look into it. As for the pc thread maybe, or even the vr thread.

Oh yeah, forgot about that VR thread...

Damn, this thread really went off the rails. :crackup: