Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what is the laser used in observatories?

particularly the yellow laser seen here and power output would it have?

Attachments

• thfrty.jpg
    thfrty.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 33

It creates an artificial star in the sky for the computers and scopes to analyse the turbulence in the atmosphere.
Certain elements are segregated at various heights in the atmosphere.
At around 70 miles natural sodium is present in the atmosphere so they create an artificial star using the sodium laser.
The atmospheric turbulence scrambles the 'point source' that the laser creates and so they calculate what the shape of the mirror should be at any time frame to undo the turbulent effects in the atmosphere.
This then gets applied to all the other stars in the field of view to 'correct' them for said turbulence in the final image.
This yields a much cleaner, sharper final image.
:beer:

BobMc

It creates an artificial star in the sky for the computers and scopes to analyse the turbulence in the atmosphere.
Certain elements are segregated at various heights in the atmosphere.
At around 70 miles natural sodium is present in the atmosphere so they create an artificial star using the sodium laser.
The atmospheric turbulence scrambles the 'point source' that the laser creates and so they calculate what the shape of the mirror should be at any time frame to undo the turbulent effects in the atmosphere.
This then gets applied to all the other stars in the field of view to 'correct' them for said turbulence in the final image.
This yields a much cleaner, sharper final image.
:beer:

That's interesting info RB. Thanks for responding with it. Love it when I can learn something new. :thanks:

Ps, don't look, but Billy's selling all 6 of his lasers for 350.00. Steal of a deal!

Last edited:
That's interesting info RB. Thanks for responding with it. Love it when I can learn something new. :thanks:

Ps, don't look, but Billy's selling all 6 of his lasers for 350.00. Steal of a deal!
You're welcome Bob, it's certainly very interesting what they do with the 'artificial star' laser.

Also, wow what a great deal from Billy.
I'd love to buy them but I've got no room left... :crackup:

See for overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guide_star

This telescope uses 4 of them at same time: https://phys.org/news/2016-04-laser-star-facility-eso-large.html

You can buy a low cost modern one for about $40,000 from CNI China --see thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/f40/...w-589-159nm-001nm-laser-guide-star-94586.html

hehehehe, that pic of the four lasers always amazes me Encap. :beer:
I have to make do with a cheaper version .... :crackup:

Pro_A2A0968.jpg

Pro_A2A0967.jpg

interesting, the lasers have been developed in my home county Netherlands!

thank you for the links Encap.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

BobMc

Also, wow what a great deal from Billy.
I'd love to buy them but I've got no room left... :crackup:

Come on, fess up, you just don't want to go back to stale bread and water next month. :crackup:

But I'm considering M&C for another month? :)

Ps, nice pics of the yellow lasers they are just awesome looking. :drool:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, they are sodium lasers. The DPSS 589nm we have are not far off the sodium wavelength so it is like owning your very own mini portable LGS. :p

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The video plays for me once downloaded.

I would definitely want to own a high power 589 at some point. Amazing wavelength.

BobMc

The video plays for me once downloaded.

I might have just been impatient. I'm on an iPhone 5c I can't even rep people on this thing. Its so slow, its a dinosaur. If I'd stop buying lasers I'd be able to upgrade this thing. :whistle:

Last edited:

diachi

I might have just been impatient. I'm on an iPhone 5c I can't even rep people on this thing. Its so slow, its a dinosaur. If I'd stop buying lasers I'd be able to upgrade this thing. :whistle:

Repping is screwy on mobile anyway. I have to long tap the rep button and open the rep menu in a new tab to do it. :beer:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
In order to rep with a comment I have to do the following:
Click the button and then can type one character. I then have to click off and reposition the page and click again. And there you are, I can now type and rep. :p

It is a pain, but it works on iPhones.