Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What have I done to this diode?

Lol, gotcha!
Burning out expensive diodes? Just did 3 myself. All at once!
Hey, if you don't have a sense of humor when it comes to lasers, it won't take long before you have an aneurysm.

kobi g

Lol, gotcha!
Burning out expensive diodes? Just did 3 myself. All at once!
Hey, if you don't have a sense of humor when it comes to lasers, it won't take long before you have an aneurysm.

How true LOL :thinking:

This is getting even stranger. I have 2 of these diodes, and now, I cannot for the life of me get the one that should be perfect, to come anything close to touching the performance of the one that shouldn't be working at all. I have another one on the way (3 of them, in fact), so I am anxiously waiting to scientificly establish a comparison, but since I have no complaints about the one that is supposed to be working fine (and it seems to be doing just that), that means that somehow the one that should have died has come back with some kind of super power, like a story from a comic book. I'm not buying it until I see it compared to another new diode, we shall see.
And the wierdes thing is that the focused pattern still isnt quite right. I should have a nice lilttle cluster of dots, and when I overloaded the one, immediately, that cluster sort of just dispersed. Well, now, it looks to me like it has squeezed that cluster into a single, "super dot", I have a smaller dot, that is much brighter. I know, that would be a remarkable improvement, this is why I refuse to accept what I see until I see another new one side by side. I know, I don't believe it, either, but if the new ones proove to be the same as the other one I have, then I guess I'll have to loan the mutant to one of the experts, here, in the interest of science. This harkens back to the title I started on the this thread, and we'll all need to know, wtf did I do to this diode?

daguin

*need pictures and IP/OP stat's (using an LPM)

Peace,
dave

*need pictures and IP/OP stat's (using an LPM)

Peace,
dave
See, that's what I mean, I don't even know what that is. This is why I'll have to let someone like you figure it out, if the new ones aren't as bright as this one is. All I can do is run them from the same driver, and see what happens. If like it is like it seems to be now, brighter, that is, then clearly something extraordinary has happened, allbeit by accident. But then some of the things that changed our world were invented by accident, it does happen, sometimes.

daguin

Sorry :yabbem:
Jargon is expedient, but useless if one party doesn't know what it means

We need pictures of the spots. Comparative pictures would be best.
We need to know the input (IP) current (mA) vs. the output (OP) power (mW) as measured by a laser power meter (LPM)

Also, it would appear that there is (are) some extraneous (something outside the known or reported) variable(s) that may be causing the problem

Finally, in order to look for one or more of those variables, there must be direct observation of the components or significantly detailed pictures to replace that observation.

I (and I'm sure some others) would be willing to look at these for you, for free.

Some bit of info is missing in the discussion. All of these questions and suggestions are attempts to identify that unknown bit of info ;)

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
All good things must come to an end, the diode is dying. It started to do this collidoscope morphing pattern, I presume that this represents death throes for the poor thing, so that's that, I guess.

That is probably something melting on the lens. Maybe a carpet fiber or fleece fiber. When you melt things, that morphing is what you usually see.

I have another one. I noticed that there is a sticky here that pretains to the shape of the uncollumated beamshot, I don't know if this should be linked or not. Anyway, look at this, this diode has been like this from day one. It's driven by a micro flex drive with all the resistors shorted, and cranked up as high as I could get it to give my dummy load, running from a lipoly pack.
DSCN2042.jpg

Weird, isn't it? I call this diode's sickness "The Evil Eye".