Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happens if you....

K

Kris.J

ska8r411 said:
shine a laser at a cop,could you get in trouble??
and also

if you where to shine it at his eyes(I WOULD NEVER IM JUST WONDERING) Could He charge you with a crime??

And if you shine cars driving on the road

Iv always wondered theese kinda things

Criminal charge possibilities aside, it's just a dumbass thing to do.

Personally, I feel if you even consider these sort of things enough to post about them, you probably shouldn't own a laser of the kind discussed in these forums.

A post like this is an indication of a lack of maturity & responsibility in my opinion.

Ace82

Like everything else, it all depends on the cop. If the cop want to be a dick, he might just beat the crap out of you and/or arrest you and confiscate your laser. You'd be very surprised with the crap police officers get away with.

If it's a cool officer, or lazy, or one who's about to end shift to go make love to his wife, girlfriend, or mistress, he might just confiscate your laser, or yell "stop it" or flip you off and be on his way.

If it's a schizophrenic paranoid wiener cop he might pull out his gun and shot you thinking it's a gun site aimed at him.

Like everything else in the world, every situation has factors. But the one factor that remains the same in this scenario that doesn't depend on anything else is that to actually do it is extremely stupid, and lacks much common sense. It's like going to a all black community dressed in all white yelling the "N" word at the top of your lungs. You might get lucky if you get out alive, but it isn't so smart now is it? Or to run into a police station completely but-ass naked.

As far as the technicalities of this situation, it depends on the mW, it is of coarse illegal to carry a non FDA approved laser over 5mW (most cops probably don't know that) and of coarse it is illegal to shine in public and I believe can be considered assault, so they could very easily stand legal grounds to arrest you.

treb76

Benm said:
They should bring that law in effect right away here... it would outlaw all those laser speedguns in a single shot, allowing us all to move along at a decent speed :)
Apparently the laws don't apply to cops here as they use LIDAR i think it's called. Prolly what you're referring to as well.

Ace82 said:
As far as the technicalities of this situation, it depends on the mW, it is of coarse illegal to carry a non FDA approved laser over 5mW (most cops probably don't know that) and of coarse it is illegal to shine in public and I believe can be considered assault, so they could very easily stand legal grounds to arrest you.  

I don't think so. Doesn't the FDA only have control over sales, and not possesion and use?

-Mark

Kris.J said:
[quote author=ska8r411 link=1227816027/0#0 date=1227816027]shine a laser at a cop,could you get in trouble??
and also

if you where to shine it at his eyes(I WOULD NEVER IM JUST WONDERING) Could He charge you with a crime??

And if you shine cars driving on the road

Iv always wondered theese kinda things

Criminal charge possibilities aside, it's just a dumbass thing to do.

Personally, I feel if you even consider these sort of things enough to post about them, you probably shouldn't own a laser of the kind discussed in these forums.

A post like this is an indication of a lack of maturity & responsibility in my opinion.
[/quote]

Don't even start to make judgements about someone you have never met.
The question is NOT an indication of a lack of maturity. But the fact of you judgeing someone without ever met or read about via there posts not only shows a lack of maturity in your case but also being very closed minded.

Besides,I can tell you are very new here, and like I said,this is most likely the very post of mine you have read, so don't judge me. Ever

Joe

it depends on where you live. in my home state i was wondering about the laws, so i looked them up. this is what i found:
it is illegal to:
point a laser at an aircraft.
point a laser at a uniformed law enforcement officer.
point a laser at an un-uniformed officer if you know he is a cop. (i had fun with my cop friends on that one)
point a laser at an automobile or motorcycle that is in motion. (nice loophole for a car stopped at a traffic light)

everything else was fair game. although a cop could just call anything you did "criminal mischief" and you are going down.

those were all misdemeanors.

Joe

in my current state the laws are:
§ 42.13. USE OF LASER POINTERS. (a) A person commits
an offense if the person knowingly directs a light from a laser
pointer at a uniformed safety officer, including a peace officer,
security guard, firefighter, emergency medical service worker, or
other uniformed municipal, state, or federal officer.
(b) In this section, "laser pointer" means a device that
emits a visible light amplified by the stimulated emission of
radiation.
(c) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 467, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

§ 42.14. ILLUMINATION OF AIRCRAFT BY INTENSE LIGHT.
(a) A person commits an offense if:
(1) the person intentionally directs a light from a
laser pointer or other light source at an aircraft; and
(2) the light has an intensity sufficient to impair
the operator's ability to control the aircraft.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this
section that the actor was using the light to send an emergency
distress signal.
(c) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor
unless the intensity of the light impairs the operator's ability to
control the aircraft, in which event the offense is a Class A
misdemeanor.
(d) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this
section also constitutes an offense under any other law, the actor
may be prosecuted under this section or the other law.
(e) In this section, "laser pointer" has the meaning
assigned by Section 42.13.

Benm

(b) In this section, "laser pointer" means a device that
radiation.

Very strictly speaking, a defense against this article could be available for green laser pointers.

DPSSD laser pointers do not emit visible light created by stimulated emission, the -visible- light is actually generated within the doubler crystal and hence no result of stimulated emission.

I'm sure this is nitpicking, but then again, this law seems very specific, and intended not to apply to, for example, a highly focussed lightbeam generated by a halogen bulb and proper optics.

Benm said:
 (b)  In this section, "laser pointer" means a device that  
radiation.

Very strictly speaking, a defense against this article could be available for green laser pointers.

DPSSD laser pointers do not emit visible light created by stimulated emission, the -visible- light is actually generated within the doubler crystal and hence no result of stimulated emission.

I'm sure this is nitpicking, but then again, this law seems very specific, and intended not to apply to, for example, a highly focussed lightbeam generated by a halogen bulb and proper optics.

Just because a crystal changes the frequency of the light generated by a laser doesn't mean it isn't still visible light generated by stimulated emission.  If this were not so, a green laser would not be a laser, but a laser-pumped green flashlight, which it is not.