Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happens if you....

shine a laser at a cop,could you get in trouble??
and also

if you where to shine it at his eyes(I WOULD NEVER IM JUST WONDERING) Could He charge you with a crime??

And if you shine cars driving on the road

Iv always wondered theese kinda things

all will lead to a charge and jail time...don't do it or even think about doing it unless you want to go to jail for a long time or pay a HUGE fine

daguin

ska8r411 said:
shine a laser at a cop,could you get in trouble??
and also

if you where to shine it at his eyes(I WOULD NEVER IM JUST WONDERING) Could He charge you with a crime??

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Even without specific laser laws these actions would lend themselves to opening you up for generic "nuisance" type laws and assault type laws.

You shine it in an officer's eyes and you are open to being charged with assault with intent to commit grievous bodily harm. That is a serious felony :eek:

Lasers are NOT toys !

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=ska8r411 link=1227816027/0#0 date=1227816027]shine a laser at a cop,could you get in trouble??
and also

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Even without specific laser laws these actions would lend themselves to opening you up for generic "nuisance" type laws and assault type laws.

You shine it in an officer's eyes and you are open to being charged with assault with intent to commit grievous bodily harm.  That is a serious felony  :eek:

Lasers are NOT toys !

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply,I was just wondering lol

Becuase I would never do it anyways lol

He didn't have weapons on him but the deputies were already in the weapon mindset as the manner the suspect used the laser was consistent with a laser mounted sight. When they went in they were already jumpy and the suspect made statements and movements consistent with a weapon confrontation. The guy pretty much got what he deserved as based on the news report the man succeeded in suicide by cop. He pretty much did everything he could to provoke a shooting short of firing a weapon which in most cases is not what a suspect wants. Most want the cops to kill them because they don't have the cajones to do it themselves they really don't want to have to shoot a cop.

JLSE

Gary Setzer said that although his son had a temper, "he never followed through with anything. He was a 130-pound kid whose mom died when he was 7. Now he's leaving a little girl with no dad.

"And it started as a simple laser deal.

"If he would've just stopped."

A SHOOTING AT THE BOARDWALK

1. SHERIFF'S DEPUTIES were in a staging area behind a WinnDixie when they noticed a laser beam pointed at them from an adjacent apartment building.

2. CONCERNED that the laser beam may have come from a gun, the deputies went to the apartment to investigate.

3. WHEN DEPUTIES ARRIVED at the Boardwalk Apartments, they heard a man and woman arguing and asked the occupants to come out. The woman came out with a child, but Thomas Setzer stayed inside indicating that he had a gun. Deputies left but returned to the entrance of the breezeway and ordered Setzer to come out.

4. SETZER APPEARED halfway out the door, concealing his right arm.

5. DEPUTIES ORDERED SETZER to show both hands. He didn't and turned suddenly. Deputy Ryan Buckley fired one shot, hitting Setzer in the torso.

Sources: Pinellas County Sherrif's Office and witnesses

http://www.hspig.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3421&sid=a75a390fba8fd8de35628dc1f22e0ba2

Sounds exactly like the suicide by cop concept to me as well.

Benm

It depends on the country your are in, i guess.

In the usa you're probably go to prison untill the end of time, but if you'd pull a stunt like that in a european country things would be very different.

Endangering traffic is a crime in nearly every country, so annoying road, air or water traffic would present a problem. Here in holland its not usually something that can end you in jail unless someone actually dies or gets seriously injured though.

As guns are illegal here chances are noone will mistake a laser pointer for a gun sight.

As far as shining someone in the eye goes: If its a <5 mW laser, i reckon courts would rule it cannot be attempted assault, as it is by definition not possible to do damge using such pointers that way. If its > 5 mW, attempted assault could be tried, though i doubt successfully unless there is an actual injury.

JLSE

If the victim says ouch and expresses pysical pain its assult, bodily harm at 5mw is not likely to be added to the charge, but who knows...

pointing it at pedestrians in general is illegal, so yes pointing at cops would be even worse.

In the US, pointing a laser at any car is a felony but I don't know whether shining lasers at people is considered assault or what.

Benm

They should bring that law in effect right away here... it would outlaw all those laser speedguns in a single shot, allowing us all to move along at a decent speed :)