Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What exactly does 'True 30mW' mean?

does it mean that the laser is originally 30mW and they didn't make it higher by pot modding it? and if a laser on a website is just '30mW' does that mean it was a 5 or 10mW and they pot modded it to a 30?

true means that it is a tested "true 30 mW
atrue 10 is for sure 10 Mw or more
a true 100 should be 100 mw get it ;)

usually a laser that says true is a newish style and i only trust them up to 50 mw after 100 usually a mode hopping rabbit laser

... really?!... i thought it meant true green as in outputting a true 532nm wavelength light.....

Justin

It's a marketing term, it doesn't really "mean" anything. It's supposed to make you believe that their "50 mW" lasers are somehow better then someone else's "50 mW" lasers. I would be more concerned with the actual testing methodology (duration, equipment and method) than with a single word in the product description. Anyone can say their laser is "true 50mW" but if they are only testing it for 20 seconds on an antique calorimeter then it's not worth squat. Always ask the seller HOW they test their lasers, not just IF they test them.

In this case the true means nothing at all. Ignore it. The "true" lasers are just as crappy as any of the other cheap chinese lasers.

Justin

ElektroFreak said:
In this case the true means nothing at all. Ignore it. The "true" lasers are just as crappy as any of the other cheap chinese lasers.

Exactement!

karbon

the true implies that they are the stated output unlike lasers found on other websites.
DX usually states when lasers are pot modded