Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What driver can run these?

NSFJojo

I bought two of these, although from now on I'm buying from TaoBao lol:

Was hoping to run them parallel on a driver to save money. Is this possible in the realm of lasers? If not, which driver would work best for the least amount of money while also assuring not destroying my diodes? Actually, just recommend a high price one and low price one you would use to ensure 1w was delivered to each diode if parallel diodes is possible.

forgive my stupid questions, I am working on getting all the knowledge I need but it's easier to ask directly than to pour through hours of threads and documents trying to find relevant info.

I have eye protection ;)

NSFJojo

The idea here is to use a PBS cube to combine the two beams, then a lens to widen that beam significantly. Unless it should go the other way around.

So I have the diodes on the way, just need the driver and PBS cube (any leads on those that aren't an arm and leg) and then I can work out the lens system since I have a few swir/mwir/lwir system lenses to experiment with.

Actually, if you want to run two diodes off one driver it would be better to run the diodes in series. That is because the drivers are constant current and by Kirchhoff's rules the current through a series string will be the same for both diodes. Since these are IR diodes you can get by with doing it because the Vf of the diodes are low.

I bought two of these, although from now on I'm buying from TaoBao lol:

Was hoping to run them parallel on a driver to save money. Is this possible in the realm of lasers? If not, which driver would work best for the least amount of money while also assuring not destroying my diodes? Actually, just recommend a high price one and low price one you would use to ensure 1w was delivered to each diode if parallel diodes is possible.

forgive my stupid questions, I am working on getting all the knowledge I need but it's easier to ask directly than to pour through hours of threads and documents trying to find relevant info.

I have eye protection ;)

Already posted by Trinh but I will post anyways - the link talks about drivers and diode Vf in greater detail.
The driver will need to drive 2.4V which is the diodes nominal working voltage, more importantly you need constantly regulated current.
try looking here: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/laser-driver-it-can-be-done-rog8811.87507/

Backing up Paul here, the series idea is the best option due to the low Vf of IR diodes. Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

NSFJojo

How about a housing for the diode that allows good lenses installed? Or interchangeable lenses? I got mad filters but no way to use them. Also, where r cheap 1064nm-1300nm diodes at? All the 1064nm ones I find r expensive

Last edited:
Hi
if you want use a customs driver,please use LM317 , if you need high quanlity driver,you can use driver from xwossee on ebay,you can seach ACS1500SE,and i think no have a PBS cube to combine IR diode,or it is so hard to find,haha,i can't find it
if you need wave length 800-850 nm,you also can use C-mount diode 2w,but you need 850-910nm,you can use 2w 908nm diode
Anyway,goodluck
Edit:i see you bought diode

View attachment 65925

That drawing is Constant Voltage. Not constant current. That will destroy the LD. You don't have a current sense resistor.

EDIT
On closer checking it's not even constant voltage. Its just completly wrong. I think it will output the Max Vout.

Last edited:
That drawing is Constant Voltage. Not constant current. That will destroy the LD. You don't have a current sense resistor.

EDIT
On closer checking it's not even constant voltage. Its just completly wrong. I think it will output the Max Vout.
yes, it isn't CC driver ,also don't have VC driver,but i can drive with IR,i tested, red laser with 2.6V can work wiht 4-8v input with LM317
did you have any test to prove that it will break the diode?

Sounds to me like the power supply feeding the LM317 is what's limiting the current into the LD.

That circuit won't regulate the voltage as it has full feedback. The LM317 is a feed forward regulator. Full feedback will give full output.

One end of your Pot needs to be grounded to be able to adjust the output voltage.

Sounds to me like the power supply feeding the LM317 is what's limiting the current into the LD.

That circuit won't regulate the voltage as it has full feedback. The LM317 is a feed forward regulator. Full feedback will give full output.

One end of your Pot needs to be grounded to be able to adjust the output voltage.
Thank you for let me know
,😊😊😊😊

NSFJojo

Hi again! Laser drivers are kind of hard to find. I've ditched the idea of using two diodes on one board. I've been looking for a suitable housing as well. The driver issue tho is still an issue. I'll keep reading and thank you all for the replies so far.

A few questions: why use lm317? There's better options and all of them are cheap?

DC to DC buck-boost CC drivers are available in a lot of different packages. Besides Gucci homemade ones I see on here, is there any reason to choose one that's specifically made for laser diodes?