Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do you like most about lasers?

T

tommygreen23

red green and blue, all the colors could be combined to make any color imagineable, it would be like 5 W and be waterproof, it would have a divergence of .000001mRad and could be visible on the moon, it would run off of AAA batteries and would be as big as a cni case laser

i can dream ;D

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
crazy divergence heh, yeah that would be mind-boggling. i wonder if its even possible to get it that low lol.

for my perfect laser, id have to want a blue one, maybe under 473nm, with really low divergence. id want the mw power just enough to see it in the dark.

one co0l thing about having a laser where you cant see the beam is that its easier to be mischievous with it lol b/c harder to tell where the source of the beam is from

Is it even theoretically possible to have a laser with that much power? Does the color have anything to do with the power?

Thanks for teaching me!

a dream laser for me:

one that is adjustable with a filter that would allow me to widen the beam to a few inches wide (would look awesome at night)
no duty cycle
has the cni case
obviously powerful enough to use as a lighter
purple or blue would be awesome
ability to terminate the distance of the beam at a certain point

yeah i know, some of these aren't possible, but you can always dream

K

kingzilla

My ideal laser would a 473 blue, in the CNI case, it would have adjustable focus, no duty cycle, and its power would be 1W. I think I will be waiting a LONG time before this laser ever exist though.. :'( :-/
Do we really know why this laser is not possible, is it becasue the diode would overheat in a pen-sized 1 watt laser? I guess the blue is even less efficient than the green, so who knows what power pump diode you would need to produce 1W of blue light, anyone know what the ratio is? Maybe you could have a small liquid nitogen cooling pack in the laser? Like a small flexible pack of coolant around the diode, it wouldn't need to much bigger....just dreaming.

T

tommygreen23

lol if only it was that easy ;D

the effficency depends on the crystal, they all vary so there is really no ratio, but it is really inefficent at the moment.
the nitorgen would wear out nad have to be changed, nesides i dont thik they have 808 diodes with enogh power to pump 1W of blue thats the pen sized 9mm

wishful thinking htough :)

K

kingzilla

I guess the syders have 2W IR diodes and you only get 40mw of blue, so at that rate you would need 50W of IR to get 1W of blue, I am sure it is more complicated than this, but even if it was 50W, thats one powerful diode. In a pen size case, it would probably melt itself. Anyone know what the most powerful, portable blue laser is?