Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do I need to construct a laser?

Recently the family laptop broke and I've been allowed to open it up and take a look inside to educate myself as I am hoping to take a computing course soon and an IT engineering course. But while searching I found the DVD drive with a sticker stating that it housed a Class 3B laser both visible and invisible (I assume that's an infra-red). The DVD drive is from an old Packard-bell running Windows XP SP2, but I have no idea what wavelength and power the laser is (from what I've heard its a 660nm at 200mW+ and an 808nm whose power I don't know but I really have no idea).

I would like to make a cool handheld laser with a nice host and a click on - click off switch without it costing too much (I've seen some places sell hosts for £50 with just the host and a heat-sink holder). I need a list of parts needed and where to get them from and what tools will be needed too. Below is what I have so far (not much right now... not much at all!)

• Laser Diode (extracted from DVD burner)

I really appreciate all the help you can give me, it would be awesome to build my very first laser! Thanks in advance ;)

- - - - - - - - - - UPDATE - - - - - - - - - -

I just had a look at the DVD drive, here's a picture:

Snapshot_20120225.jpg

The writing is as follows;

EAN CODE (followed by a bar code)

Yellow sticker (left): CAUTION - Class 3B visible and invisible laser radiation when open. Avoid beam exposure.

Yellow sticker (right) CLASS 1 Laser Product

White Sticker (japanese text, followed by;)
NEC Corporation
7-1, Shiba Go-chome, Minato-ku Tokyo, JAPAN
DVD R/RW & CD -R/RW DRIVE
Model ND-6500A (next to it is a circle with a dick inside, with "N56" next to it)
Power Supply 5v
Made in China (lol thought it was japan :p) US pat .4,615,023

Underneath is a box titles PBR and says
SERIAL No. 5408198C123
MANAFACTURED April 2005

Then there's the logos; CE, some arrow in a circle, backwards RUus and some legal stuff.

Last edited:

You are in the right section for learning how to build a Laser...
Reading the tutorials and you will get a fair understanding of
how it's done..

As to your computer DVD.... we have no idea what model it is..
I would suggest to search the Forum or Google to find any
data on the drive that you have and what diodes and their
powers are in it...

Jerry

You are in the right section for learning how to build a Laser...
Reading the tutorials and you will get a fair understanding of
how it's done..

As to your computer DVD.... we have no idea what model it is..
I would suggest to search the Forum or Google to find any
data on the drive that you have and what diodes and their
powers are in it...

Jerry

Ok, thanks :) I'll get back to you once I've found the manufacturer and model of the drive

I'm not stupid :scowl: I know how Google works and how to search the forums, but with something like this I'm not just going to read some article on how to do it, I'd rather be showed bit-by-bit by someone who's done it before and can tell me the best places to buy and the best tutorials.

a.k.a spoonfed... not a well liked mindset around here.

a.k.a spoonfed... not a well liked mindset around here.

If you don't want to help go elsewhere and stop wasting both our time.

Thanks a bunch, I will have a thorough read and look-through :)

Posting the obligatory "I Want to Build a Laser Thread". :D

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/i-want-build-laser-thread-52972.html

But yeah, it helps if you know what diode you are working with. Look up the DVD drive maker and see if you can determine the diode that was used in your drive.

Apologies, I am very new to DIY overall and very accident prone, so I do need a lot of help! I don't really know much of the drive but I'll post a picture in a bit :)

If you don't want to help go elsewhere and stop wasting both our time.

Yeah that really wasn't a reason to give me negative rep... grow up. Take my advice though, don't think just because you want to build something that you are entitled to spoon feeding.

Updated the OP, seems the model is an NEC ND-6500A drive, can't find any laser info as of yet but still looking!

Updated the OP, seems the model is an NEC ND-6500A drive, can't find any laser info as of yet but still looking!

Let me google that for you

NEC ND 6500A - DVD±RW (+R DL) drive - IDE - 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD) 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL) 16x (CD) / 4x (DVD±R) - Internal

8X DVD Speed. Most laptops are 3.8mm diodes. Not a powerful diode and not usable in an AixiZ module. Contact rhd about 3.8mm modules if you wanna use this one. I'd recommend an LPC-815 though

helpful enough?