Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What died?

So I was upgrading my LPC laser, and then it fell to the ground, and when I lifted it the diode emitted a very weak light that you can barely see, and the driver got hot in an amazing new level.

did the driver die?
the diode?
please tell me it's the driver cause I just extracted a diode from a DVD burner, and connected it to batteries with a resistor and no light was emmited.

Sounds like you LED'd your diode. If so, the diode will not lase but will still emit a dim glow of light.
From what I understand driving the diode in this state may destroy the driver, although I think if it is LED'd than there is still current running through the diode so the driver may be okay.
Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Oh wait I think you got something wrong.

there are two LD's:
one of them is the one that worked perfect until I dropped the project.
second, not related at all, is a diode I extracted from a DVD and just to test if it's working I connected a resistor to it and to a power source and no light was emitted.

about the first diode:
I'm using the rckstr driver.
what's LED my diode?

MMM...okay....
Dropping a diode would most likely kill it.
As far as the second diode, i'm not sure what the problem would be. Do you have another 'fresh/new' driver to test it with? Do you have a desktop adjustable power supply? If so try running the diode directly through that to see if it works. Also you could use a test load on the driver and see what it does.
Just some ways I can think to test your troubles.

You've probably broken the diode. Something inside the diode is broken and not allowing any or enough power the ruby.

Or its broken but the current still passes through it. (Hence the heat)

It's hit and miss when you drop them whether or not they will break.

Benm

Sounds like you LED'd your diode. If so, the diode will not lase but will still emit a dim glow of light.
From what I understand driving the diode in this state may destroy the driver, although I think if it is LED'd than there is still current running through the diode so the driver may be okay.

I dont see how there would be any problem for the driver - a LED'd diode is electrically almost the same as a healthy one... which makes me curious what did die here:

The driver seems to be running hotter than it was before it was dropped, so perhaps something shorted out that causes it to supply more current, or the potmeter on it moved to a higher setting, possibly blowing up the diode in the process.

Find out whats going on before replacing the laser diode, otherwise i suspect it may be blown up again.

Got a test load to check the driver with? If not connect your ammeter directly to the rckstr power it up and check output current. Don't leave power to it for long though, because with no load the driver is going to keep trying to jack up the current.

Wait, it's been so long since I've used a rckstr I don't remember if its a boost or linear driver. Either way though, with no load the driver is going to keep trying to raise power till it fries itself.

If you have a power supply connect the diode directly to it and see if you get an output. If you have a current constant power supply, set the current to around 400mA, so the diode can't pull more and fry itself.

One or the other should tell you where the problems are.

Last edited:
OK guys a few things
FIRST:
about the diode I exracted from a DVD burner:
I connected it to the wall, gave it 6V and 60 ohm, and it light!!! very very very dim though (and not focused at all) but light!
getting my hopes up :D

about the fail:
I think I'm gonna test load the driver to see how much current is it giving. I'll update the results.