Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHAT DID I KILL??

I had a module assembled by bluray that worked great but then i took it apart and installed it in a different host, when i turned it on it worked for a second then it went out. Im pretty shure i pushed too many volts to the driver. What do u think got fried the driver, diode, or (worst case senario) both. Also there is no current at the diode end of the driver so im pretty confident that it is shot but i would really like to know if my diode is good. i ordered another driver if i need another diode i would like to order it asap.

Thanks for the help,
    Tyler

daguin

MarioMaster said:
ok, well what driver are you using and what are the hosts?

and . . .

How much voltage did you push through it?

You can easily test the driver with a test load and a DMM.

Peace,
dave

the host was just a 3 aaa light i had laying arround that i didnt use its a no name off brand.I put 3 3.6 volt aaa in the light, spun a heatsync, used all the old hardware to supply current to the module.
i dont know the driver but i bought it assembled from this post http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1224680882
it worked great when i got it powered from a 9 volt, then i decided to put it in a host worked for a second then stopped

daguin

flame_minion said:
the host was just a 3 aaa light i had laying arround that i didnt use its a no name off brand.I put 3 3.6 volt aaa in the light, spun a heatsync, used all the old hardware to supply current to the module.
i dont know the driver but i bought it assembled from this post http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1224680882
it  worked great when i got it powered from a 9 volt, then i decided to put it in a host worked for a second     then stopped

I believe that he uses the Rkcstr driver. The maximum voltage for the Rkcstr is 12V. A "fully charged" 3.6V 10440 battery is actually putting out 4.2V. Three times 4.2 is 12.6V. You may have burned out the driver. You should still test it with a dummy load before trashing it though.

Peace,
dave

I got one from bluray too. Works fine until I twisted the azix module and I think the diode got loose from the driver.... now I am figuring out how to connect the diode back to the rkcstr driver.

thanks for the help i hooked a test load to it no voltage to the test load
liverock use wires to reattach the diode. it worked for mine until i increased the voltage to 12.6 (thanks Dave i had no idea the voltage was out of spec like that) i never checked it.