Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Can I do About This Speeding Ticket?

B

BrittanyGulden

Please keep this professional!

I was issued a speeding ticket by a State Patrol Officer this morning. I was traveling East to school on a highway & supposedly I was speeding. He was traveling West. He noted that he clocked me at 63mph & when we passed each other he said my speed accelerated to 64 than 65 than even 66 mph. Speed zone was set at 55mph.

There were no cars ahead of me & no cars behind me. The highway ahead of me soon turned into a 4 lane 65mph zone.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this speeding ticket? I am 19 yrs old. Male. In the past 3-4 years of driving, I have only had 2 citations (if that). One was speeding.

From the looks of the paper he gave me, everything looked legit. Anything I can check over? Make sure he didn't f*ck up? Any f*ck ups on his part that could reduce my fine?

It was in a different county than I live in if that matters at all.

Set up a court date & hope he doesn't show?

B

BrittanyGulden

Btw, I am a freshman in college. Continuance for dismissal?

What country are you in? US? Might help to offer advice if we know where you're from... add it to your profile. I'm going to assume US for the time being.

Was his car in motion when the speed reading was taken? If yes, is this documented anywhere?

See the reason I'm asking is if he was also in motion, and going west as you are going east, the only way for him to arrive at the speed you were going would be to also factor in his own speed and subtract it from the very high number he would have gotten.

So was his car moving? Is this documented?

What speed is actually stated on the ticket? 64 or 66?

Ultimately your best/only option would be to go to court, and ask to speak to the prosecutor. Most will allow you to plead guilty to a lower, no points offense.

daguin

What he "said" doesn't matter much
What is written on the ticket
THAT is what he is going to defend and you have to fight (if you can)

Peace,
dave

Ash

Sounds like he had a "moving radar" gun.
Quote - In so-called "moving radar", the gun receives reflected signals from both the target vehicle and stationary background objects, such as the road, road signs, guard rails, streetlight poles, etc. Instead of comparing the frequency of the signal reflected from the target with the transmitted signal, it compares the target signal with the background signal. The difference in frequency of these two signals gives the true speed of the target vehicle.
The only defense here is if his gun was out of calibration.
Plead not guilty, and at the hearing be absolutely adamant to the judge that you were going exactly the speed limit and the officers equipment must be at fault. Ask to see calibration logs.
Other than this, hope he doesn't show.
Good luck.

Something sounds fishy. He could've been the one accelerating. It sounds like he wasn't paying attention to his own speed. I say that because it seems like he was more interested in operating the radar to check your speed.

Check to see if he turned in he copy of the ticket. I only recieved one ticket in all my years of driving. I went in to pay it and he never turned in his copy. Luckily I didn't have to pay anything since he didn't turn his copy in.

Something sounds fishy. He could've been the one accelerating. It sounds like he wasn't paying attention to his own speed. I say that because it seems like he was more interested in operating the radar to check your speed.

Check to see if he turned in he copy of the ticket. I only recieved one ticket in all my years of driving. I went in to pay it and he never turned in his copy. Luckily I didn't have to pay anything since he didn't turn his copy in.

The vehicle with the Rolling Radar has a speed sensor that is fed
into the Radar to remove that speed reading from the total speed
detected. The remainder is the suspect vehicle's speed.

Jerry

Trevor

Go get your instruments checked at a mechanic. If they are not accurate, often your your citation will be reduced to "driving with defective equipment" - regardless of the direction of the error.

Trevor

The vehicle with the Rolling Radar has a speed sensor that is fed

Jerry

...and if the car is going in the same direction as the suspect vehicle? Or at different angle?

Speed reading would be off.

It's all speculation until OP gets back to the thread, and also tells us what's on the ticket.

Everything else is his word against that of a cop... judges always have a hard time deciding in that situation:sarcastic:

B

BrittanyGulden

United States.
His car was in motion yes. No, it was not documented anywhere.
The ticket is for a 65 in a 55.

SO him accelerating has nothing to do with "me accelerating" ????? ...since The vehicle with the Rolling Radar has a speed sensor that is fed

Driving with defective equipment? I know my speed gauge is off. I wonder if this would be cheaper than a speeding ticket which is roughly US 160.00

I was going towards the state patrol officer & the state patrol officer was going towards me. He was coming at me. I was coming at him.

Thanks for the replies guys. I may have been speeding a FEW mph, but I don't think I accelerated like he said I did. First he said he got me at 63mph. WHy the heck would I accelerate to 66 when I seen his patrol vehicle. I did not.

Trevor

Driving with defective equipment? I know my speed gauge is off. I wonder if this would be cheaper than a speeding ticket which is roughly US 160.00

It might be immediately more expensive, but it will keep your insurance down.

Trevor

daguin

Plus, the original "fine" is usually only part of the total cost of a ticket

I do not know if this is a factor for where you live, but here in CA,
There is the base fine, then some State "service" amount added on,
THEN there is a county court assessment added
In some counties here, that assessment can be outrageous

For example, I received a "disobeying a road sign" ticket
I turned left against a "right turn only" sign
The "base fine" for this offense is only $35
No worries, right?
After the state and county got done tacking on costs/expenses/assessments
The "bail" was $165
Then to keep my record clean, I opted for "traffic school"
The cost of that was another $60
Ultimately, the check I wrote out for my $35 fine ticket, was for $225!

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
I would be more worried about points. In the long term a 2 point speeding ticket can be very expensive.

In NJ, points on the license drop off at the rate of two for every year where you do not have any point infractions. That's as far as the state tracks it.

Unfortunately insurance looks at you four years back, and doesn't care that the points drop off.

There are also surcharges once you get past a certain point.

In NJ you would have a 2 point ticket. Even if it's more expensive in the short term, it absolutely makes sense to turn it into a no point ticket in the long term.

B

BrittanyGulden

In Minnesota, it will not count against me as far as points for insurance.

So am I f*cked as far as reducing the cost of the ticket?

You can try Trevor's approach.

I thought the points system existed in some form for all states... if I were you I would double check.