Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What can be harvested?

I have been bored lately. With no money their isn't much to do. So I found a DVD writer that isn't being used. It's a model TS-H653 DVD burner. This is a link to it here. So I'm just wondering if their is anything good in this burner to extract.

Thanks

Tmack

Check the sled. That's where the goodies are. You'll find one red diode and one ir diode, plus a bunch of crazy optics.

You sir are entering lasers 101. The old guys will tell you if you wanted to DIY, you were extracting these diodes.

This was my first attempt at making a laser. Extracting when you have no idea where anything is can be hard.

When removing the sled be very carful where your applying pressure. Those diodes are hidden quite well and it will take some inspection to just find them.

Take a look in my album. Titled lasers. On the third page there is a picture of what holds the diodes in place. This might help determining what your looking for. Save all the little optics too. Never know what you could do with them.( I haven't found anything yet though) lol

Last edited:
I'll buy some of those little optics from you guys. Maybe I'll use them in messing around with small table-top setups. Or not. LOL

Tmack

I have another two computers sitting around. If you want the optics I could have a bunch for you.

So I got this out. Any suggestions before I go further?

1af2cy8l.jpg

gfRU8wxl.jpg

gI3eQ7Ll.jpg

Sure, let me know what you manage to scavenge. I love them tiny optics.

Flutter - came across this. May help. Looks like there are many different types of optics you can find in the sleds.
Cool laser tricks!

Tmack

Just be gentle. Did you look at my album?
The diodes will be mounted on the sides of that lens in the picture. I don't know if you have diode experience, but think tiny! Look for the pins poking through some strip wires. When removing everything don't pull. Just try your to use a file or cut anything off you don't need.
The diode are mounted in little square housings and are surrounded by optics. Try to save everything you can

Before you even tear into it, you will need an Axiz Module and a driver. And I've torn into DVD burners before. Be VERY careful or you can destroy the diode. Both the IR and red burn things.

And lol no money can lead to boredom. Why do you think poor people are bored more often than rich? with more money you can do more ^_^

Having no money dosen't mean you will be bored :mad:

If anything rich people can be bored because they have done everything, you can be poor and still have many activities to do everyday :)

Tmack

You can still test the diode in the sled if you keep it in the square holder. That is if you have a driver. I used a little crappy pen driver. Which resulted in crappy performance lol. But hey. He didnt ask for a master piece. Just curios like I was.

So is there any saying how many mW these diodes are? Also these are 5.6mm correct?

benmwv

Looks like a flat package ir/red to me. Hard to use but with some ingenuity it can be done. I have seen modules for them online too. You are probably safe running 150ma to it.

Make sure you're wearing an ESD wrist strap at all times when handling those. Even then it's
still not 100% certain the diodes won't be damaged.

So is there any saying how many mW these diodes are?

Some can be pushed as high as 350 - 400mW. The speed of the drive is a good indicator.
The 24x drives usually have the higher power diodes. Sometimes the IR diode is stronger
than the red, but usually redder is bedder. In the original mount, they shouldn't be run at
more than about 100mA. In an AixiZ module you can probably run at 250mA for a few
minutes. The big larges only happen with a copper module and a heatsink. Keep your
fingers on it until you're sure what it can handle.

Also these are 5.6mm correct?

Not all. Some are flat, some are 3.8mm, and some are even 12 pin square packages with
integrated photodiode arrays. Yours are probably flat or 5.6mm, though.

The first step would be to rip that metal cover off the bottom. That should expose the
optics. Then you can follow the optical path to find the diodes. You can also look for a tan
or green flex cable with 3 pins sticking out of it.

Sometimes the IR and red diodes are separate. Other times they are integrated into one
package. The red is 650 - 660nm. The IR is around 780nm. You can see the IR one quite
easily at these powers, but it looks deceptively dim even though it is just as dangerous.

Safety glasses are a must. O-Like and eBay are no good as are most other places. The
only cheap glasses that actually work are currently being sold by Survival Laser. They are
too strong. You will just barely be able to see the dot when it's on a white surface. The
AixiZ glasses cost more, but you will be able to see it better. Just about everything else
that is over $150 is very good, but I take it you won't be able to afford that.

Most of what I just said could have been found by searching. Not enough people are doing
this anymore though so it's nice to share occasionally.

So I believe these are the diodes right?

kvqiAMCl.jpg

RV8Iifrl.jpg

I don't believe I have ever seen diodes like these before. So I'm not sure what the next step should be.

Also here are some cool neodymium magnets I found in it. I have no idea how to separate the magnets from the metal piece though.

wGvGQdkl.jpg

Ohhh yeah those are the diodes alright. Flat diodes, separate IR and red

The center pins will be negative and one of the outer positive. They are pretty strong even in
the original mount, but a bit tricky to couple to a lens. It is advisable to leave them in the
original mount and then heatsink the mount.

The tiny neo magnets are pretty easy. Just bend back the metal piece they're glued to with
pliers and they will come right off.