Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What are the best quality and priced goggles to use when using both a blue 7 watt and a green 1+ watt ?

BeeOD

I purchased a blue 7 watt and green 1+ watt laser for my husband and I need to get him goggles. The goggles he has are cheaply made off of eBay for a cheaply made laser he had. But I know these new lasers are strong quality lasers and the more I research I find that the goggles he has are no good at all. So im getting a bit confused with all the different glasses that are out there and there is no room for mistakes at all. In fact I will be getting us both a pair. So I thought I would ask the experts instead of trying to figure it out on my own and making a mistake. I need affordable quality especially since I need 2 pairs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

GSS

"Eagles" are the best hobby glasses, for around $42.95 each.
Survival Lasers has them and use this LPM forum for a 10% discount. The standard 190nm to 540nm should cover you fine.
Last I read they were rated at OD6. They have slip over types if you wear glasses.

Hexal101

If it is a true 7 watt blue, I would go with laserglow’s od 8 (i think it is od 8) goggles. While survival lasers are fantastic, I would trust them until I got above 3/4 of a watt. Don’t get me wrong, they are great goggles but they are mostly for lower powered lasers. Or, you could go with the “od infinity” method. (VR goggles and an old phone.) lets you see the beam, and it works for any wavelength, but there is a bit of latency.

Hexal101

Oh, guess I’m just paranoid lol. But laserglow’s goggles look pretty nice though.

Oh, guess I’m just paranoid lol. But laserglow’s goggles look pretty nice though.
NOT really.
That laser is super dangerous. It makes dark colored items smoke instantly , so imagine what it can do to your eyes. AND our own eyes lens can/may/will make the beam even more powerful.
I always suggest that everyone have GOOD eye protection BEFORE getting the laser. ..and never the other way around.

be safe & stay well. Len

edit update

just to be clear-- sometimes there is confusion when. say. somebody writes 'red glasses' ----do they mean glasses for red lasers OR are the lenses red in color?
IF they are red-- they most likely be for green lasers and glasses with green lenses protect us from red wavelengths.
VERY spendy glasses (like $150+) protects all visiable lasers.
AND some less expensive protect for more than one 'color'
IF you look at the frames you SHOULD see something like
340nm- 470nm--with a number with 'OD' and a number.
The higher the number gives more protection.
Glasses with nothing like that are basically just colored glasses. And not really good for lasers. And should be dirt cheap. and never trusted ....
btw
you can wear two sets so another wavelength is covered .
AFAIK the very best eye ware may cost several hundred dollars.

It takes lots of time to develop a 'second sense' about avoiding eye hits, and even a seasoned pro will sometimes take a hit.

IF you avoid beams that are horizontal , especially between say, one foot from the floor to about 7 or 8 feet from the floor. Much harder to hit any ones eyes unless they are laying of the floor or up one a ladder OR they are up on someones shoulders (happens a lot at concerts).

EXTRA care is needed when there are ANY mirrors or glass windows- picture frames - shiny metal etc around to name just a few.

BTW intentionally lasing aircraft is no longer just a felony.
NOW it is a Federal Offencen with higher fines andx longer jail sentences WHICH must be served COMPLETELY ----that means NO early release regardless of any good 'behavior' you will serve EVERY DAY.

and many times regardless of what court , you will lose your 'right' to own or use ANY lasers ever again.
NEW members especially need to bookmark lasersafetyforum.org
Read tons of info and stories about arrests and the fine and/or jail time they got. WE DO NOT want to see your name there. Along with what the judge sez-- you may/will be banned from every owning or using any laser again. And you will be also banned from this forum.

Some things are much more dangerous.
setting up bounce mirrors and turning mirrors.
alignment of lasers and galvos inside projectors
taking measurements of beam size and dot size (which must be done to accurately find true divergence).
just to name a few.

Those new to lasers are much more likely to get an injury,
but it can happen to anyone.

sorry about the rant but like CRH sez 'safety is our number ONE concern.'

Last edited:

Teej

If it is a true 7 watt blue, I would go with laserglow’s od 8 (i think it is od 8) goggles. While survival lasers are fantastic, I would trust them until I got above 3/4 of a watt. Don’t get me wrong, they are great goggles but they are mostly for lower powered lasers. Or, you could go with the “od infinity” method. (VR goggles and an old phone.) lets you see the beam, and it works for any wavelength, but there is a bit of latency.

IIRC, the Laserglow's are OD 7 for that range.