Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What antivirus do you use?

What A/V software do you use?

• Avira

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Avast

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • AVG

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • ESET NOD32

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • F-Prot/F-Secure

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Norton

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No antivirus

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters

ped

I'm sorry, but that is a terrible idea. There is NO WAY to protect yourself without an antivirus. The majority of virus infections happen through perfectly legit sites and can happen without you having to download anything. "Common sense" is about as helpful as condoms with holes poked in them.

Malware Infections Are Usually From "Legitimate" Websites | The Escapist

And if you got a virus (which you already may have), you'd have no way of knowing because many viruses operate silently.

There are different opinions on what to do. agreed there are viruses that operate silently , and if I notice a change in my computers behaviour or performance I'll download an AV program and scan, however, I completely disagree with your analogy "common sense is about as useful ect ect.." , common sense is at the very heart of what websites you should be visiting , what your online activities are, what you download, and where from.
I think if you're sensible about those decisions , then your cutting out most of the risk, I'm not saying ALL risks.

I had anti virus for the best part of ten years, and yes it nailed a few viruses , but I found my vigilance to more convenient , and cheaper.

I DO use Malwarebytes on a regular basis however.

There is also the propaganda nee theory that most of these so called viruses are manufactured by the anti virus companies themselves, for obvious reasons.

and if I notice a change in my computers behaviour or performance I'll download an AV program and scan

What about if you get a keylogger? That wont make your computer behave weird. People will just be getting your passwords and login info.

ped

A leads to B leads to C.

If your cautious enough at point A , points B & C are of little concern.

NO system is infallible, its just personal preference.

LaWS

Hi pseudolobster,
Your avatar almost made me fall from my chair lol...

You do know AV does nothing against crypted viruses.

Some even go as far as browsing in a VM. Works rather well. You can't game in a VM but you can certainly browse in one.

AV software doesn't just rely on payload pattern matching, but also behavioral analysis such as trying to modify system files, self-modifying, or extracting the payload before execution, etc. Also, many of the viruses that come with encrypted payloads still have recognizable signatures especially if they're not designed to self-modify in the wild.

You do know AV does nothing against crypted viruses.

Some even go as far as browsing in a VM. Works rather well. You can't game in a VM but you can certainly browse in one.

no anti virus software can really do anything against FUD viruses though

My laptop is a Macbook so not terribly concerned there (yes Mac can get viruses, but they are few and far between). That being said my desktop runs Windows 8 and I don't have antivirus on there either. Ever antivirus I use is so pushy and tries to control everything I do on my PC.