Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird Bluray Diode...

Shok

Hi guys, i'm new in this forum and this is my first post. I'm fascinated in lasers since three months and it's really great stuff  :)
Ok, to get directly into the subject, i'd like to ask if you know anything about the bluray diode shown on pic below...
It comes from a TOSHIBA TS-L802A Combo HD-DVD drive. This one is actually dead because by mistake i've mixed the +/- wires...
But another one is coming to me right now :) Anyways i got a little angry because i've bought optics for normal TO18 round diode (like that from ps3) and i got this one... Luckily the connection pins are the same like other bluray diodes.

On the pic below from the left:

1 - photodiode system (for reading)
2 - bluray laser diode
3 - red/ir laser diode

What do you think about that? :) Cheers!

Attachments

• diodes1.jpg
    diodes1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,472

diachi

You get diodes that look like that in laptop drives, they have 9 or 10 pins though .

-Adam

Shok

You get diodes that look like that in laptop drives, they have 9 or 10 pins though .

Yes, this is a laptop drive, but the BR diode has normal three pins from which one is unused.

I'm so curious to know what kind of power it can kick out!!!
Well, this drive is a BR reader only so the power won't be outstanding , but it's nod quite bad. Next pic is with the beam splitter cube from the same drive. I tried to modify the optics i have but it isn't good enough yet. Cheers.

Attachments

• cube1.jpg
    cube1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 201
90% of the DIY bluray lasers built are made from reader diodes.. Many of the famed 803T reader diodes have been pushed to almost 200mW with acceptably "safe for the diode" results.

Being that this is a Toshiba drive, not a Sony, the diode may be good for at least 40-60mW..

The only safe way to tell is to use a meter while turning up the current, and find the "Knee" in the ouput curve.

daguin

Glaserfan said:
90% of the DIY bluray lasers built are made from reader diodes.. Many of the famed 803T reader diodes have been pushed to almost 200mW with acceptably "safe for the diode" results.
Being that this is a Toshiba drive, not a Sony, the diode may be good for at least 40-60mW..
The only safe way to tell is to use a meter while turning up the current, and find the "Knee" in the ouput curve.

I think that we've established that the sleds found in the Toshiba SD-H80A "reader" were originally intended to be in a "writer." They were just used in a reader to consume existing stock after HD DVD lost to Blu-ray. I believe that the sleds we are getting now are the sleds that were surplus and the ones intended to "support" HD DVD for the year promised. I also believe that somewhere in China someone is lighting incense to thank the gods that someone (read that us) is willing to pay good money for these "trash" sleds.

Peace,
dave

It does make sense that the 803T sleds/diode were originally meant for a burner. What about the DT0811 though? That one may have been intended to be a reader(I think)..hence my reasoning for typing 40-60mW:)

daguin

Glaserfan said:
It does make sense that the 803T sleds/diode were originally meant for a burner. What about the DT0811 though? That one may have been intended to be a reader(I think)..hence my reasoning for typing 40-60mW:)

It is quite possible that the 0811 sled was intended to be a reader. The 803T sleds were in the earlier version of the drive. The 0811 came later (maybe after their supply of 803T's ran out?)

Peace,
dave

That would be interesting to know..

Hopefully someone with a meter can grab one of these odd diodes up and put it to the test:). Eventually we will run out of 803T sleds I am sure..which means more sources are a good thing ;D.

suiraM

daguin said:
They were just used in a reader to consume existing stock after HD DVD lost to Blu-ray.

Makes you wonder if they're using the same diodes to burn the masters, or whether there are some metal cutting monsters that will turn up surplus sometime...  :eek:

Matt F

I just harvested a diode like the bluray one in the middle from a Toshiba computer, it seems to be also found in a Panasonic 8x uj141. Diode peaks its brightness at a max current of about .20 A requesting 5.7 V! :) That's >1w input power, and the diode doesn't get too hot showing some efficiency.

Although it does have a strangely rectangular look, it fits in a 5.6mm axiz housing almost perfectly.

When using this diode, the Pin configuration is slightly different from most blue diodes in that the negative and case pin leads are switched.:can:

I have it running at .18 A and its really strong, being able to pop balloons and light matches and pop balloons without pinpoint focusing:D

Have fun harvesting,
-Matt F