Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Watts Up?

wattsup

Just a newbie to this stuff, hoping to learn as I go along. I do have a Zeus 532nm and a Thor II (blue) and have had them about two years. I am looking forward to pickingup some tips especially with bird deterrance and picking out a decent LPM and third laser sometime in the near future.

Welcome to the LPF. Thanks for using your first post to introduce yourself. Where in the world do you live? It is easier for us to help you if we know where you are. Make sure to read the stickies as they are filled with information and safety concerns.

wattsup

Welcome to the LPF. Thanks for using your first post to introduce yourself. Where in the world do you live? It is easier for us to help you if we know where you are. Make sure to read the stickies as they are filled with information and safety concerns.
Thanks, I live in So. Ca.

Ah, we are on the same coast. I live in Tacoma, WA. There are many members here in your area. That could come in handy if you need something measured that you don't have the equipment to do yourself.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, wattsup! :)

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay.

wattsup

Ah, we are on the same coast. I live in Tacoma, WA. There are many members here in your area. That could come in handy if you need something measured that you don't have the equipment to do yourself.
lol, I used to live up in the Wenatchee area back in the early 70's; worked the apple, cherries and pear orchards. Beautiful country.

Welcome! I hope you learn what you're looking for. Glad to hear there's some people nearby - from what I've read, there are quite a few forum members with LPFs that will meter lasers sent to them for the cost of postage if you wanted to test yours without investing in an LPM.

wattsup

Welcome! I hope you learn what you're looking for. Glad to hear there's some people nearby - from what I've read, there are quite a few forum members with LPFs that will meter lasers sent to them for the cost of postage if you wanted to test yours without investing in an LPM.
Thanks, I'd probably go the route of purchasing one that could measure up to 1-3W. My wife is a bit skiddish on giving out addresses etc.,over the Internet.

wattsup

I was wondering, is the Laser Pointer Store in any way affiliated with this Forum?

I was wondering, is the Laser Pointer Store in any way affiliated with this Forum?
As far as I know, they just buy the ad space in the banner. Their lasers are usually ok - but nothing special, and their LPMs are uncalibrated and extremely basic (i.e. avoid the LPMs). I believe they dispatch from multiple countries instead of direct from china. This however is not an advantage if you live in a country which has restricted domestic sales - such as the UK or Australia - local warehouses dispatching within the country is less legal than importing from CN.

Sanwu and JetLasers are good examples of Chinese sellers producing excellent quality and providing good responsive service. There's a thread that's frequently updated saying where the best places to buy lasers are. Another source is forum members - There are several forum members that build and sell kits or complete lasers.

wattsup

OK, some have given me beginner tips on reputable LPMs, Lasers and sites, what about the other topic I brought up in my intro...bird deterrence? Any tips or references?

Hi
For birds get the bird bombs what they are is a small pistol and you use 22 cal CB caps to fire a 17 mm rocket 60 ft into the air and it has a loud report

Rich

OK, some have given me beginner tips on reputable LPMs, Lasers and sites, what about the other topic I brought up in my intro...bird deterrence? Any tips or references?
I know there are commercial systems which are used at airports etc - do you intend on using a handheld laser to scare away birds?

I believe that lasers for bird deterrence are passive - i.e. the bird sees the beam and flies away, rather than the bird being blinded by the laser and falling out of the sky... The latter would likely be quite illegal in most countries - but I don't know a lot more than that.

Rich - that'd definitely work - but I can't imagine my neighbours would appreciate me setting off explosives to scare away birds! Only really an option for people living in highly rural areas :p

wattsup

I know there are commercial systems which are used at airports etc - do you intend on using a handheld laser to scare away birds?

I believe that lasers for bird deterrence are passive - i.e. the bird sees the beam and flies away, rather than the bird being blinded by the laser and falling out of the sky... The latter would likely be quite illegal in most countries - but I don't know a lot more than that.

Rich - that'd definitely work - but I can't imagine my neighbours would appreciate me setting off explosives to scare away birds! Only really an option for people living in highly rural areas :p
Yes, it would primarily be for scaring birds...not maiming them.

We have a neighbor that loves to feed the sparrows that end up bringing their breakfast over to our Bouganvilla and subsequently pooping on our black asphalt driveway. Just thought I'd give'em a scare. (Don't worry, pyro-antics bore me to be honest). I do notice my green Zeus seems to be a bit more effective than the blue Thor II even though its mw is allegedly lower.

Last edited:
Hi Immo
I live in a rural area with crops and many horse farms , If he lives in the burbs well no I don't recomend it. There are other ways to control them like a decoy owl that we use in the industrial complex for pigeons and other birds. It work very well get the decoys that pivot on a rod and move with a breeze.

Rich:)

wattsup

Hi Immo
I live in a rural area with crops and many horse farms , If he lives in the burbs well no I don't recomend it. There are other ways to control them like a decoy owl that we use in the industrial complex for pigeons and other birds. It work very well get the decoys that pivot on a rod and move with a breeze.

Rich:)
Don't the pideons grow accustom to decoys and after a short time are decorating them with a snowcap?