Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Water Surface Reflection

Countryboy

VERY new here. Zero laser knowledge. Just trying to find out if anyone can point me to the best "kind" of laser pointer that reflects best off of water surfaces like rivers, ponds, lakes etc. ?
1. Needs to be visible easily to user (source) up to 30ft. 100ft would be great, but not a deal killer.
2. The larger the "dot", the better. But merely visible will suffice.
3. The angle will be no more than three feet high shining outward at the water. The source will be mounted 3ft high at waters edge basically. So it might point 6ft out before it hits water and it might shine out 30ft before it hits water. But always from same 3ft source height. But the actual Angle will change often.

3. Cant be too expensive. Say, under $100. More than that and its cost prohibitive to its function.

Can this be done? Or...ur all LoL at me?

Lol. Thanks in advance!!

kecked

Bouncing a laser off water randomly is a bad idea. You have no idea where the beam will scatter. Most of the time it will be scrambled and unseen but if the water moved just right it could be reflected into your eyes or someone else including even fish. Bad idea. Plus I doubt you’d see it at all except in the very dark. If you make the beam larger than a pencil head you’d see nothing.

Countryboy

Bouncing a laser off water randomly is a bad idea. You have no idea where the beam will scatter. Most of the time it will be scrambled and unseen but if the water moved just right it could be reflected into your eyes or someone else including even fish. Bad idea. Plus I doubt you’d see it at all except in the very dark. If you make the beam larger than a pencil head you’d see nothing.
thanks man. Exactly the info I needed before I put too much time into this. I appreciate you.

Water is usually not without ripples/waves, also there's likely a better way to achieve your goal.
That said if you shine a laser into still water you will see much of the beam travels through the water at a new angle and some of the beam is reflected back off the water. The angle you strike the water seems to make a difference from what I remember.

In this image very little is reflected off the water, however that doesn't make it safe unless you know your backstop.
Snells_7380.jpg

The effect you are going for is called "total internal reflection." Read up on this topic to get a better idea of what it is you want to accomplish and which factors are important to consider.
Also note the safety concerns outlined by others.