Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wasp nest removal, lasergeek style

That was hysterical!!! ;D I bet my "Beast" would tear that up - a wasp nest is basically paper pulp and there isn't much a 10.6nm CO2 beam won't torch (with enough power). I've got 20 watts and that (assuming I could get it close enough and aimed right at the nest) would surely do the job.

But that's weird that near-IR wouldn't do anything....I have a 173mw 660nm pointer and I can drill holes in house plant leaves (and smoke and drill dead ones) when they're alive and green.... :-? Near-IR behaves very much like visible red lasers, that's just really strange.

Switch said:
Yea, I think wasps are very sensitive to heat.

They're cold blooded, so their activity will increase with temperature. Sensitive isn't quite the word for it.They can live in both higher temperatures and cooler temperatures than that of a warm blooded animal.

Switch

Schrecken_Licht said:
10.6nm CO2 beam
Wouldn't that be UV? ;D But I'm sure you meant µm :p

They're cold blooded, so their activity will increase with temperature. Sensitive isn't quite the word for it.They can live in both higher temperatures and cooler temperatures than that of a warm blooded animal.
Well I guess your right, but according to that documentary bees can handle slightly higher temperatures :D

Btw, has anyone tried high power IR on their skin?...I read somewhere that tattoo removers work with IR because it does minimal damage to skin while screwing up the ink :-/

Aseras

Human skin is extremely IR reflective too. everyone looks white and pasty under IR lighting. 3 watts of 808 does nothing to my hand, even on a dark spot, but 100mw of green or blue gets warm and if you hit a dark spot it hurts instantly.

I'll make a quick video demo.

808 doesn't burn skin you say... it's reflective eh... that's why everyone looks like a ghost, using nightmode on a digicam with IR LEDs on it.

chido

Sorry, just trying out the embed video on post thing:

[media]http://208.219.69.31/laser/rpl/rpl808.wmv[/media]

Good vid Aseras. It's good to see that IR doesn't affect skin. And that makes sense that black tattoo ink would absorb it. You'd think that your skin would have to feel the ink burning though, so that can't be pretty! They probably use a topical anesthetic, but it would probably feel like a 2nd degree burn afterwards. That's the price of ink, hurts goin' in... hurts burnin' out! :p

CC

I was wondering what the threshold would be for near-IR (like 808nm) for feeling it on your skin - wow! I didn't think you could hit 3 watts and not feel it.....I wonder how much 660nm wattage skin can take before you'd feel it? All I have is 173mw and I can't feel that at all.

But not all IR is the same.....mid/far IR like a CO2 (actually 10,600nm, most people abbreviate it as 10.6 - pretty far away from any visible light) burns the heck out of flesh - and no I don't intend to see what it does to my own skin! :eek:

Here's a vid of flesh and bone (not mine - just leftovers from dinner) "sacrificed" to "The Beast":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2Jvg65NBs

Switch

Schrecken_Licht said:
I was wondering what the threshold would be for near-IR (like 808nm) for feeling it on your skin - wow! I didn't think you could hit 3 watts and not feel it.....I wonder how much 660nm wattage skin can take before you'd feel it? All I have is 173mw and I can't feel that at all.

But not all IR is the same.....mid/far IR like a CO2 (actually 10,600nm, most people abbreviate it as 10.6 - pretty far away from any visible light) burns the heck out of flesh - and no I don't intend to see what it does to my own skin!  :eek:

Here's a vid of flesh and bone (not mine - just leftovers from dinner) "sacrificed" to "The Beast":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2Jvg65NBs
My 16x burner stings prety fast when focused :-/
Of course that wavelength acts totaly different than visible light or near IR but still , your laser is 20W ::)....Cyparagon had a vid of a 60W CO[sub]2[/sub] steaming the cr@p out of some meat.That would be frickin painful.....I bet it would screw wasps right over ::)