Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wasp nest removal, lasergeek style

Aseras

Everyone keeps asking me for a video of this so I made one yesterday afternoon.

Our target...
target.jpg

Here's a quick video edit.
http://208.219.69.31/laser/herc/hercwasp.wmv ( 1.7mb )

In hindsight I shoulda let the one that caught fire and went incandescent to keep going since the house is stucco on cinderblock, it wouldn't have hurt it any.
I've got a few more I'm gonna burn off today, so more later time permitting.

Switch

Sweet! That'll teach'em... Eat green photons B!TCHES !! :D I think it would work even better with the beam extender :D

That's a hoot! ;D What a great use for a burner. I bet one of those 1W IR burners would be fabulous for that! If only wasps could talk... "Say Sam, is it getting hot in here?" "Why yes, Fred and I believe my thorax has just exploded... oh my..." "AAAAAAAAAAAUUGHHHHH!" ;D ;D ;D

Can't wait until Spring!

CC

Switch

Curiously_Coherent said:
That's a hoot!  ;D  What a great use for a burner.  I bet one of those 1W IR burners would be fabulous for that!  If only wasps could talk... "Say Sam, is it getting hot in here?"  "Why yes, Fred and I believe my thorax has just exploded... oh my..." "AAAAAAAAAAAUUGHHHHH!"  ;D ;D ;D

Can't wait until Spring!

CC  
Yea, I think wasps are very sensitive to heat.I saw a documentary where bees would kill a wasp by heating it up with their body heat just 1 degree above what it can withstand.

I can't wait 'til Spring eighter, I wanna try the fly-powered plane and shoot it down :D

the wasps might explode because the water in them would quikly turn to steam.... explosive decompression ;D there goes the wasp.... and your house haha, maybe not the house

Razako

Imagine what the 2watt IR laser on blazelasers would do. The nest might instantly erupt in flames and fall to the ground. The wasps would probably pop when the beam hits them.

i vote for using a 60 watt co[sub]2[/sub] laser. if i had one, i would mount it on something with wheels and go destory some wasps.

I've always had an extreme fear of bee/wasp/hornet/stingy-scary-things so it was great seeing this video! I'm gonna try to save up to get an RPL around 200mW-300mW this summer (let's hope some of my MetaCafe videos turn out good...), so I will be able to fry those stupid wasps around my house!

Switch

I used to have a ton of those in my attic.Too bad I didn't had a highpowered laser back then, though it would've taken a lot of time but would've been a lot of fun.I think my 2 favorite ways of executing pesky insects are "Eat Photons" and "Ride the Lightning" :D

Aseras

IR doesn't work on them at all. I have a 1.1 watt hades and a RPL with the crystal set removed that puts out 2.9 watts ( measured on level 9 ) of 808 and it won't even smoke them even when focused down smaller than a period ->. They'll set white paper on fire, but raw plant matter is too reflective to IR. Google IR photography, you'll see almost all plants looks white in IR lighting. They reflect 99% of it, and as all we laser geeks know, no absorbance, no energy transfer and no burning.