Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wash your hands folks!!

Jaseth

Oldschool cartoons are so awesome :crackup:
Have any of you played Bioshock? I love the ones in there too..

Seb

rkcstr

The H1N1 is nothing to really worry about. I've seen a number of people with it already in the clinics. You get sick, it lasts 3-7 days, you get better. Sure, it's not fun, but you're not going to die.

The percentage of deaths from the illness is not really any higher than the normal strains, it's just infecting more people since the group immunity to this strain is relatively low (much fewer people are immune compared to seasonal strains). It's affecting more younger people because older populations have some immunity from the last outbreak (in the 60s).

The nasal vaccine is an attenuated live virus and can cause mild infection (like a cold) and can be passed on to others (only concerning to those with no immune system). The shot is only viral proteins, but can cause an immune reaction (not infection). Typically it's only a low-grade fever, muscle aches, fatigue, malaise (feeling 'sick'). Most people won't have any symptoms at all.

The girl in the video likely had some underlying condition that likely predisposed her to this reaction, if it truely was the vaccine that triggered it. If it had not been the vaccine, it quite likely would have been caused by something else in the future or may have been more gradual. Unfortunate, but unpredictable and extremely rare. Nothing that should dissuade others from getting the flu shot, especially those who could greatly benefit (like those with asthma, other respiratory problems, diabetes, etc.).

Last edited:
Heh, that's not actually true in our case. In developed countries few, if any people would die directly from diarrhea (it might be the symptoms of a much more serious disease though). Diarrhea kills people in developing nations because they can't replenish the nutrients and fluids they lose, where as in developed countries it is quite simple to do that.

Thats exactly what I don't understand. "Who cares about the millions of people dying of easily preventable illness in developing countries? Its the 14 people we can't save in MY country I'm worried about!"

I know this thread is kinda old, but what are your opinions on this "D225G" mutation? The WHO says that the cases seen so far were just spontaneous mutations, but what's the chance of several people in totally different locations having the same mutation happen to the virus? According to what I've read, autopsies of people who died from the mutated strain show that the lungs turned black and bled out.