Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Warning to Canadian Members

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Just saw this on the news this morning. 10km from any airport of heliport is a huge radius, that will include most of the city I live in, far more than just the vicinity around the airport.

Ottawa banning some lasers near airports to prevent cockpit attacks

Transport Minister Marc Garneau took the unusual step today of announcing an interim ministerial order that bans the possession outside of a private dwelling of battery-operated, handheld lasers more powerful than one milliwatt anywhere within 10 kilometres of an airport or heliport, and in any municipality within the greater Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver areas.

Ottawa banning some lasers near airports to prevent cockpit attacks | CBC News

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ott...o-reduce-danger-to-passing-aircraft-1.3992912

Last edited:

Its still an over reaction. In most metropolitan areas anywhere you go is within 10 km of some airport. With what we have in office here at the moment, it could happen here too. :(

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Its still an over reaction. In most metropolitan areas anywhere you go is within 10 km of some airport. With what we have in office here at the moment, it could happen here too. :(

Even our government is the opposite side of the political spectrum from yours and it happens. It's just a kneejerk reaction these days regardless of who or where.

By all means throw the book at anyone moron who lases a plane, but really sucks when whole hobbies are destroyed due to the action of small few idiots.

Just easier to ban anything these days, lasers, drones, fireworks, play structures, soon it'll be illegal just to have fun.

The order exempts those with legitimate reasons for using a laser pointer outdoors, citing "work, school or educational purposes."

Hopefully they can elaborate on what "educational purposes" covers. For now I'll just carry my binoculars and star charts with my lasers and if I am questioned my defense can be it is for educational stargazing. :D

Last edited:

Encap

Just saw this on the news this morning. 10km from any airport of heliport is a huge radius, that will include most of the city I live in, far more than just the vicinity around the airport.

Ottawa banning some lasers near airports to prevent cockpit attacks | CBC News

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ott...o-reduce-danger-to-passing-aircraft-1.3992912

Apparently not just pretty words - "Now, any individual caught with a hand-held laser in a prohibited zone without a reason can be immediately fined up to $5,000, while a corporation can face up to $25,000."

Hopefully they can elaborate on what "educational purposes" covers. For now I'll just carry my binoculars and star charts with my lasers and if I am questioned my defense can be it is for educational stargazing. :D

Would guess it means recognized legitimate education professional educational purposes---not just that an individual wants to do what they want to do..

Re: pointing lasers at aircraft in Canada:
"In addition to the interim order, Transport Canada is also designating laser attacks on aircraft as offenses subject to immediate fines under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
A laser is not a toy. Shining a laser into the cockpit of an aircraft can distract the pilot during the most critical phases of take-off, descent and landing and interfere with their ability to land safely.
Anyone convicted of doing this intentionally could also face up to $100,000 in fines, five years in prison, or both."

Last edited:
That law is ripe to cause unintended problems and make criminals out of a lot of innocent people.

Just look at what American drug laws did to several million people. Everyone is always talking about getting tougher laws. I got a phone call yesterday from a PAC that wants me to call my congress reps and ask for tougher laws on people who kill police. I guess they want the death penalty as the laws for that are about as tough as you get in Washington.

Yep, and if you get a bad cop, you have no defense, but we never have, have we.

Sometimes I have deep doubts about these human monkeys we are, that sucks when one of them.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Just useless politicians who have little to no understanding of the actual issues at hand. Just spout out whatever drivel sounds flashy and will get them votes.

The last thing we need is more of this tough on crime stricter laws crap that just fills prisons and solves nothing. Now we'll have someone who has a 5mW cat toy laser on their keyring get charged under this for just forgetting about it.

Makes me think of this picture I saw on a t shirt a while back:

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

Last edited:
And.... law enforcement officials don't care if it's a cat toy laser you forgot about, or whether you had any knowledge of the law or not, if you broke the law, you are a criminal, period. I used to work in law enforcement, I know exactly many of their mindsets among the group, the more people who they can make victims to the law, the better, they get a personal sense of satisfaction when putting someone under their thumb, or having the ability to choose who they like or don't like to enforce law.

I have been in parts of this country where refusing to hand over ID would get you an a$$ whipping and arrested regardless of you being in the right. This was especially true when I was a long haired musician in the south in the 1960s. Unfortunately it is still true today in many places.