Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WARNING: Italy has decided to ban Lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new info published to day on a national newspaper looks (maybe) to reshuffle the problem, see:

Quotidiano Net - Sport - Stop ai puntatori laser dentro lo stadio Si rischia una multa di 500 euro e il daspo

as it speaks of the prohibition to enter in the soccer stadiums with laser pointers and/or other instruments that may disturb the football players. The fines foreseen can reach 500 Euros and, if the guy is found to reiterate the action, he will be prohibited to enter in any location in which sportive activities are performed. No other news (for the moment) relevant to ban a more general ownership.

I'll keep the thread updated in case of new evolutions of the topic.

Last edited:

Arayan

Well, said from an Italian unlucky one :p ..... here in Italy is already banned, except that for specific uses, any pointer of class 3 and over (that means, you can buy or commercialize only class 1, 2 and 2b devices, like 1 or 2 mW) ..... this was introduced in 16/07/1998 with an "ordinance" (that here, is simply an easy way for introduce a law when you don't have the authority for write laws :p), from the general director of prevention department ..... so, theorically, from 07/1998 they are already banned .....

The only difference is that, actually, the present politicians need some more visibility and, overall, "credibility" (sorry for the word, i know that "credibility" must not be used about politicians :p :D) on medias, so they just started another "look how we're good in crime prevention" campaign, with some new excuses :p ..... and, ofcourse, instead to fight real crime (cause, after all, real criminals tend to payback with fire, when fighted :p), they beat the usual 0,1% of idiots, and in the mass, also the 99,9% of innocents (cause, after all, innocents, when fighted, usually don't payback with fire ..... or, at least, the probability is more low :p).

Nothing new under the sun, just the old good istitutional idiocy, pumped up through the old good media idiocy ..... as usual :p (as i already said, welcome in the land of freedom, where you're totally free to do all that what they say you to do)

BTW ..... one of these days, we lost all the remaining patience, i guess ..... :eg:

I agree 100% and I knew the 1998 law but I thought that there was a new restriction, instead the news is only about the "stadiums ban" ...one sure thing is that there is no limit to stupidity...

Razako

I really do feel that this will happen pretty much universally in due time.

While taking a walk on a foggy night with some friends, doing some sky pointing in the mountains with a handheld green a few years ago, - some lady shouted from her house, "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT! I'M CALLING THE POLICE! YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT THING!" ...

She was wrong, of course. This was a <5mW green - beam was certainly visible in the fog (Note i've never been screamed at for my 900lm Cree MC-E light - which arguably could be just as dazzling if mispointed).

We're in a very unpopulated area where I am - hundreds of acres of Arapahoe National Forest, very easy to find a field at night for safe beamshots. I've been doing it less and less though for these reasons.

It's come to the point where I want to get a 500mW PGL before I have to call it a day. Why do I have so many lasers? Because I really do feel that it's either 'get them now, or wish you had gotten them then.'
LOL that lady reminds me of this one couple last 4th of july. Long story short my family and I were in this school soccer field watching a big fireworks show and we we're having some fun throwing firecrackers around prior to the show. It was a wet field of green grass from the sprinklers that were on earlier in the day so there was no fire danger or anything. Long story short this one couple comes up to us and starts bitching us out about how "IT'S NOT SAFE WHAT WE'RE DOING" and that we're "GOING TO START A FIRE :tsk:!!!!!!!!!!". We explain that the field is clearly damp and that there's no fire danger whatsoever. They still continue to complain and my dad starts cussing them out. They call the cops on their cell phone and we all pack up and leave before the cops come.

Some people are just paranoid bitches who fear what they don't understand. Others are probably jealous and rat you out for the fun of it. Finally there's the "Authority is always right" crowd and they don't care about the facts. If it's against the law they won't have anything to do with it.

I really do feel that this will happen pretty much universally in due time.

While taking a walk on a foggy night with some friends, doing some sky pointing in the mountains with a handheld green a few years ago, - some lady shouted from her house, "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT! I'M CALLING THE POLICE! YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT THING!" ...

She was wrong, of course. This was a <5mW green - beam was certainly visible in the fog (Note i've never been screamed at for my 900lm Cree MC-E light - which arguably could be just as dazzling if mispointed).

We're in a very unpopulated area where I am - hundreds of acres of Arapahoe National Forest, very easy to find a field at night for safe beamshots. I've been doing it less and less though for these reasons.

It's come to the point where I want to get a 500mW PGL before I have to call it a day. Why do I have so many lasers? Because I really do feel that it's either 'get them now, or wish you had gotten them then.'

She would call police for that, but if you'd have something like that 500mW greenie menioned, with beam blindingly bright from distance, the lady would (just maybe) be too scared to complain or call the police.

Amazing how people react to unknown, ain't it?

She would call police for that, but if you'd have something like that 500mW greenie menioned, with beam blindingly bright from distance, the lady would (just maybe) be too scared to complain or call the police.

Amazing how people react to unknown, ain't it?
add a beam expander ^^

Razako

add a beam expander ^^
Ha I've played around with my 500mw herc+X10DR in the fog before:evil: UFO sighting anyone:crackup: It put out a freakin huge pillar of green light going high into the sky that lit up most of the neighborhood in dim green light. It was at like 2am though so I'm not sure if the neighbors noticed.

Ha I've played around with my 500mw herc+X10DR in the fog before:evil: UFO sighting anyone:crackup: It put out a freakin huge pillar of green light going high into the sky that lit up most of the neighborhood in dim green light. It was at like 2am though so I'm not sure if the neighbors noticed.
:drool:

Why oh why didn't I play the winning numbers on lottery?!
You lucky you...

diachi

What about lab modules such as OEM components and complete mains powered systems? How will they be affected?

Razako

What about lab modules such as OEM components and complete mains powered systems? How will they be affected?
It would probably be like the AUS laser ban and they would be unaffected.

Arayan

the law is about laser pointers or unidentified objects which function as laser pointers... I think that it refers to portable lasers

anyone who shines a sports player with a laser pointer aught to be left alone with him in the locker room, and the result broadcast on TV... LOL

vk2fro

anyone who shines a sports player with a laser pointer aught to be left alone with him in the locker room, and the result broadcast on TV... LOL

Agreed!

and the sports player be given the laser pen.

I recently belted up some guys bluray pen coz he shined it at me and a friend in a club. Nasty. I really wish people would't abuse lasers, specially home made ones!

Least these guys get 5mw unlike us in Australia - they're even more strict over here - 1mw pfffft!

*converts 1 watt labby into pointer* :p

then on second thoughts *looks at possible fines/jail time* pass :)

Zephyr

It's interesting. Alcohol consumption probably kills more people a year than we can count. Yet every time an irresponsible guy drinks one too many beers and slams into another car filled with people killing them, you don't see them rushing off in a frenzied panic to ban beer.

The inconvenient, 800 pound gorilla in the room, folks .... that they'd rather you didn't think too much about.

ZapU

With a telecast service of this evening, in consequence of brainless guys used to point lasers to the face of soccer players during games, and to point lasers to airliners (more than ten aicrafts have been recently obliged to repeat the landing procedure due to laser beams entering in the cockpit), Italian Government has decided to prohibit import/selling and ownership of lasers exceeding 5mW (the only allowed exception are qualified research Laboratories).

"Outlaw" laser will be sequestrated and the owners will be obliged to pay a fine of 400 Euros (about 570 US$, at the actual change). A big quantity of lasers have been already sequestrated. One of the Customers in charge to perform the controls, interviewed by a reporter during the transmission, has declared that these lasers are mainly coming from China.

Due to such decision, it is obvious to think that packages shipped by UPS and similar carriers will be subjected to inspection; so, be careful.

I hope they can't get addresses from LPF! :scared:

Maybe we should take down the Member Map thread where we put our location on Google Maps. ;)

Other countries sure to follow. We are all going to be bootleggers soon.

Last edited:

ped

Theres got to be better threads to post in, this ones nearly a year old ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.