Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanting to have a laser's power measured

I am in Michigan and was looking to see if anyone in the area had a LPM to measure the power of one of my lasers. I bought a laser from WL probably at least 4 years ago and it was sold as a 35mW but I can do things with it that I didn't think a 35mW was supposed to be able to do. I can cut electrical tape with it, pop balloons, burn holes in the foam that came in the case, I've even burned small holes in the black leather handle on my computer bag, so I think the power may be higher than stated and my curiosity is now starting to get to me. So is there anyone in Mi that would be willing to measure this for me. I live near Grand Rapids, but I work in Auburn Hills so I am on both sides of the state weekly.
Thanks,

Aaron

Kenom

one person close to you I'd recommend is Mariomaster. I myself could do it if you want to pay shipping charges both ways.. I won't ask for any other fees.

I may take you up on the offer if I don't find anyone close by. It looks like from the USPS it's about $5 each way. So not too bad. I would just buy a LPM but I just spent a huge chunk of change on a Sherline Lathe with a mill attachment so if I can figure out how to make money with that then I may be in for a Kenometer Pro. :yh:

Congrats on the Sherline lathe and mill. Now you'll need tooling ... With this, it sounds like you will be machining your own heatsinks and hosts, optical mounts, and anything else needed. Post some pics of your machinery and some of the items you make. If you are a good machinist, many people here on the forum will buy heatsinks and hosts from you. Show us your work. As I am just over the border from you, I'm probably not a good choice to test your laser. Do not ship it out of the USA for testing, or the FDA may seize it on it's way back into the USA.

Thanks, that's the hope. This will be a new experience for me but I have always wanted to learn to use a lathe and mill and have some friends who are machinists so hopefully they will help me learn. It's always nice to have an excuse to add to one's tool collection.
As soon as I learn how to I will be glad to help in making laser accessories and the like.