Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted To Buy: ThorLabs WR1 Can Opener

Did you spend your hard earned cash to buy the WR1 Can Opener only to use it once or twice? Is it now just sitting around gathering dust? Want to get some of that money back? Sell it to me!

0w4mpWWl.png

Please shoot me a PM if you have a WR1 and would rather have some cash instead.

Gazen

Nice advertisement :crackup:

Good luck getting one :)

Last edited:
I have one I'd sell, but it's like close to 8,000 miles from me now. You can de-can very easily using a small vice pliers.

Just grasp the backing plate and twist the can off, or with the diode in the 12mm copper module use a thin screwdriver and pry at the top edge of the can against the outer edge of the 12mm module, just like popping off a GBall can.

Place your screwdriver on the side where the back of the waveguide is so you wont damage your bond wires, if you do it upside down the can will fall out after it cracks loose.

Once de canned the diode will weaken over time as damage to the facet at the p/n junction builds up while running, my nubm08 de canned lasted about a month to half brightness, but it did get daily use, my 44 de canned was in 2015 and it did weaken but died from overheating.

If you have a LPM please track your output over time after de canning and track your run time, it would be interesting to start collecting data on how fast they degrade without the can/backfill.

Last edited:
Oh no, I thought the NUBM44 was OK to run de-canned without that degradation :(

I only had 1 de canned and it did seem to weaken slowly, it died fast when the copper back half unscrewed with focusing, now I like to use 2 set serews, I don't know how long t would have made it otherwise, but the nubm06 is a 445-450nm and they also degrade once de canned, I have many half bright dead soldiers of the 06 variety.

The 07 seems to die faster, it's divergence is like the 06 but I don't know, maybe it's facet/face has a different composition for the shift in wavelength that's more susceptible to air interaction damage ??

I knew you could decan these diodes without that tool. A couple of vice grips would do the trick.

I just took the can off this dead diode in a few seconds.

60170d1526538593-wanted-buy-thorlabs-wr1-can-opener-sany2571.jpg

Here's another one, I have a quite a few dead soldiers.

Attachments

• SANY2571.JPG
    SANY2571.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Yea they are attached just like the longer GBall cans, but being shorter it's harder to use leverage, so take your time and give the can a twist, they will come off.

Last edited:
Good to know stuff here. I almost bought one of those tools but there spendy!!

RedCowboy, I appreciate the tutorial, but the diode did not survive my attempt at getting it out of the module. The 25mm module requires 4 3/4 turns in order to unscrew the front and back halves. This was enough to twist one of the pins off. Since the diode was already toast at that point I tried your trick. I was able to get the can off, but my attempt was clumsy and resulted in what would have been catastrophic damage.

I'd still like to buy a decanning tool if anyone has one to sell.

ezgiertunc

I just took the can off this dead diode in a few seconds.

60170d1526538593-wanted-buy-thorlabs-wr1-can-opener-sany2571.jpg

Here's another one, I have a quite a few dead soldiers.

Hi! Could you provide me this video (if you prefer privately, it is fine for me). I really would like to watch how to de-can