Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WANTED: people to contribute to the laser wiki

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
Oh nice. Time to start copying and pasting! ;)

Edit:
Jimmymcjimthejim is invalid!!!@ >_<

The accounts cant be ported, you gotta sign up for wikia seperately

Typo!

On the FAQ in the "can i get cancer from lasers" it says "minimise" it should be "minimize." :)

And I think the "unfortunately, many people are blinded my IR light" should be removed.
It doesn't sound completely true.
The fear of IR is a little exaggerated...
Also, a period is needed at the end of the "where can I find green Diodes?"

Just thought I'd help you out.

But it's looking good!
:)

Thanks! Any help is help! I didn't write that btw, it was copied from the forums FAQ

happytomato said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1218794065/0#19 date=1218906947]Oh nice. Time to start copying and pasting! ;)

Edit:
Jimmymcjimthejim is invalid!!!@ >_<

The accounts cant be ported, you gotta sign up for wikia seperately[/quote]

Yeah, but I couldn't make my username Jimmymcjimthejim.. It said that it was invalid.

Oh and to RA_Pierce.. This is a Wiki, so feel free to edit it to your likings..

RA_pierce said:
Typo!

On the FAQ in the "can i get cancer from lasers" it says "minimise" it should be "minimize."

Hrmm, not sure how serious you are here, or how pedantic I want to be, but:

We (mostly) write in English on this board, and in English 'minimise' is correct.

Some people, however, write in American, where 'minimise' is also correct, but 'minimize' is more common.

Many English words ending in "-ise" or "-ase" get changed in the American usage to use 'z's instead. This is because about 65 years ago advertisers (advertise is another one of those "-ise" words) in the US started putting 'z's into everything to add zing to make their words stand out - much in the same way l33t speakers modify their language with phonetic sounds and numbers to the same effect, lol noob!!1!!!1!!!one!!!!!

This usage has become so prevalent that not only do Americans on forums often insist that the correct English is wrong, they sometimes also go so far as to use the 'z's in places where they don't make no sense nohow, as on this board where you sometimes see the word 'lazer'. (For that word to have a z in it, there must exist the word 'ztimulation', which sounds sort of German to my ears but probably doesn't exist outside of mad doctor films: "Now vee shall see zee true power ov zee light amplification by zee ztimulated emission of zee radiation!!!".)

Before anyone gets a flag up their azz, I just want to mention that I am an American, I just read books while the rest of you were watching television.

Foobario said:
[quote author=RA_pierce link=1218794065/20#21 date=1218908686]Typo!

On the FAQ in the "can i get cancer from lasers" it says "minimise" it should be "minimize."

Hrmm, not sure how serious you are here, or how pedantic I want to be, but:

We (mostly) write in English on this board, and in English 'minimise' is correct.

Some people, however, write in American, where 'minimise' is also correct, but 'minimize' is more common.

Many English words ending in "-ise" or "-ase" get changed in the American usage to use 'z's instead.  This is because about 65 years ago advertisers ({i}advertise[/i] is another one of those "-ise" words) in the US started putting 'z's into everything to add zing to make their words stand out - much in the same way l33t speakers modify their language with phonetic sounds and numbers to the same effect, lol noob!!1!!!1!!!one!!!!!

This usage has become so prevalent that not only do Americans on forums often insist that the correct English is wrong, they sometimes also go so far as to use the 'z's in places where they don't make no sense nohow, as on this board where you sometimes see the word 'lazer'.  (For that word to have a z in it, there must exist the word 'ztimulation', which sounds sort of German to my ears but probably doesn't exist outside of mad doctor films: "Now vee shall see zee true power ov zee light amplification by zee ztimulation of emitted radiation!!!".)

Before anyone gets a flag up their azz, I just want to mention that I am an American, I just read books while the rest of you were watching television.[/quote]

Someone give that man a medal! +1