Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted: Blue Ray burning laser

12X refers to the speed of the blue-ray burner drive the diode was removed from? I'm looking on the forums to see who's selling them. Are these the same diodes the Wicked S1 Sonar and the O-lite 200mW use? How much can I expect to pay for a custom build?

kiyoukan, I'll check out Daguin and see if he's selling anything, thanks.

I wouldn't even bother with the Wicked, and the O-lite might just be the Nichia they sell or something. The 12x is really probably the most powerful BR diode you can buy, but what will keep it useful is to have a good build that will properly heatsink it.

I wouldn't even bother with the Wicked, and the O-lite might just be the Nichia they sell or something. The 12x is really probably the most powerful BR diode you can buy, but what will keep it useful is to have a good build that will properly heatsink it.

Why wouldn't you bother with the Wicked S1 Sonar? What about the O-lite 200mW? Can you give me some reasons why you wouldn't purchase them?

Also can you answer the questions I posted previously. I pasted them below.
Does 12X refer to the speed of the blue-ray burner drive the diode was removed from? I'm looking on the forums to see who's selling them. Are these the same diodes the Wicked S1 Sonar and the O-lite 200mW use? How much can I expect to pay for a custom build?

I don't regard WL's builds as very good. Plus, it's not very high powered, non-focusable, and if WL's specs are to believed, its "1mm" beam diameter means it has poor divergence.

For O-like's it's probably a 180mW or something laser. It's also focusable. Still, the components are usually not that high quality, and I haven't seen any reviews.

Both of those lasers are not that high powered compared to the 12x builds around which can go to 500mW or more. The 12x is the speed of the burner. They come from Plextors or LG 12x burners. See if someone in the Pro Laser Shop forum can make you one. The price will depend on who is selling it.

I personally think you'll be better off with wire strippers. Unless you truly want melted/burnt/sticky plastic on your 'special/intricate/delicate' projects..

Just saying. The insulation is just going to melt at any power that wouldn't cost more than you apparently want to spend. It's not going to vaporize and magically vanish. Heat up the end of a cat5 cable and your just going to get the outer jacket melted with all the wire insulation.. Not to mention fumes that you probably don't want to be breathing.

The whole thing just sounds extraordinarily messy to me, not to mention dangerous in an environment with lots of people. I know most of the cabling jobs *I* end up having to do always ends up being at schools or offices with lots of people wandering around. No way would I bring a high power laser to such places to do something as mundane as stripping wires. It's the whole 'right tool for the job' thing, and a high power laser isn't the right tool.

Anyway. Just my two cents.

I personally think you'll be better off with wire strippers. Unless you truly want melted/burnt/sticky plastic on your 'special/intricate/delicate' projects..

Just saying. The insulation is just going to melt at any power that wouldn't cost more than you apparently want to spend. It's not going to vaporize and magically vanish. Heat up the end of a cat5 cable and your just going to get the outer jacket melted with all the wire insulation.. Not to mention fumes that you probably don't want to be breathing.

The whole thing just sounds extraordinarily messy to me, not to mention dangerous in an environment with lots of people. I know most of the cabling jobs *I* end up having to do always ends up being at schools or offices with lots of people wandering around. No way would I bring a high power laser to such places to do something as mundane as stripping wires. It's the whole 'right tool for the job' thing, and a high power laser isn't the right tool.

Anyway. Just my two cents.

Thanks, sweet Delorean btw. I have a friend who owns one too.

I think I better ask this in a different way because everyone thinks I'm going to be using this for regular "wire stripping". I won't be. I should go back to my first example. I HAD, a cheap modded laser (my friend back in MA modded it without my permission actually) that I used from everything to lighting cigarettes to amateur engraving on plastics to heat shrinking plastic tubing (all colors) for electronic projects AND melting tiny bits of plastic insulation off the tips of RJ45 cable. The "mod" died only after a few months (guess he overspeced the H out of it). Can someone tell me what a "Laser Duty Cycle" is or direct me to a wiki? I'd like something similar to what I had (without the very short diode life). Now if the 12X is the way to go, I'd be happy to purchase it from someone who comes highly recommended. So far someone recommended Daguin and Laser Pro Shops Forums. Daguin hasn't responded yet. I have no idea who or where Laser Pro Shops Forums are. Are they part of this forum?